Why cornet for a beginning student?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, May 3, 2014.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Their thread got off topic faster than ours! ROFL

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Now with COPD, I can concur that my trumpetsplus modified cornet takes less wind to play than a trumpet, even though now both are played with trumpet mouthpiece. Otherwise, I've now given up the tenor trombone because my slides are neither accurate enough or fast enough. But as for reach, whatever happened to the gimbel stick attachment for young beginning players that extended their reach? My loss of wind power has already caused me to give up the tuba and I sold mine. Soon, I fear such will end my euphonium playing.

3. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.

"Another one gone south"?

I was going to wake you, but I was napping"

[​IMG]

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Used to see these from time to time in youth orchestra, especially on bass bone.

[​IMG]

5. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    extension handle, cornet whatever, anything is better than saddling a learner with a soprano trom. I saw a littler kid struggling with a "kid sized" trombone at a music school concert last year and had to explain to his teacher why the choice of horn was making the learning process so much harder.

6. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I had never heard of such a thing before! I need to get one. My little (she's a little one) 9 year old wants to play trombone. She needs this gadget!

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Should be easy enough for an instrument tech to fettle one up without breaking the bank.

8. Hugh Anderson

Hugh Anderson Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2011
    I taught beginning band for many years and I saw little kids rest their trumpets on their knees. If the kids was littler yet, then the cornet might rest there, too.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It was sometime in the 40s that I remember seeing one, and then I believe it was homemade. The problem I then noticed, and so did the instructor, was that it clunked when the slide was returned back to the first position. Any cushion spacer at that point would seem to me not only to change the tone, but interfere with the operation of the slide lock.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia