Why cornet for a beginning student?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, May 3, 2014.

1. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    As far as I know, this kind of "slide helper" was already usual in the Renaissance.
    Have not seen those much in our times to be honest. Anyway, might be
    of great help.

Back to topic:
    One could as well ask the question:

Why the cornet for any comeback player, amateur, professional,
    brass band fan, jazz musician etc.?

It is as simple as that: It is a great instrument with a unique tone and a long history, and fun to play! :-)

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Dale,

no anti cornet bias from my side, rather simply the realization that cornets have unfortunately become more of a specialty axe rather than standard fare in schools all over the US. Higher, faster, louder is reality, also when junior band marching is part of standard fare. A Yamaha 2xxx or 4xxx trumpet is VERY light and VERY responsive and at very reasonable prices new or used.

I would really appreciate a band teacher that favored cornets. The brass players would probably even get along with the woodwinds better.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    This one is definitely a swivel mechanism, while what I saw was definitely a gimbal.

4. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    My son wanted to play the trumpet today, but with the valves moving slowly, he gave up quickly. I noticed that he couldn't play as high, but the trumpet is definitely a lot louder. I much prefer to listen to him practice on the cornet. It's nicer on the ears.