Why did Robert Sullivanl leave NY....

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by abbedd, Oct 20, 2005.

1. abbedd

abbedd Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2005
    ... and take the assistant chair in Cleveland

Abbedd

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I would think getting to play principal on a regular basis is more fun than 4th/utility. Are you thinking maybe he should have stayed and gone for the second chair? If so, yeah, you'd have a point.

ML

3. abbedd

abbedd Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2005
    wasn't Sullivan associate in NY

Abbedd

4. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Yes he was.

Your question is basically unanswerable except by way of conjecture. If you really want to know, I suggest looking up Mr. Sullivan and asking him.

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Sheesh, you're probably right. I thought he was 4th. Things change around so much more quickly today I can't keep track of these folks.

ML

6. abbedd

abbedd Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2005
    Quick, who makes up the Trumpet Section in Minneapolis :-)

Abbedd

7. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    I can tell you that there was never any public statement by Mr. Sullivan explaining his reasons for wanting to play in the Cleveland Orchestra. So unless he comes on here himself to explain, any information you would attain through this thread is conjecture, or worse, second- or third-hand information. See the "sticky" on Gossip for further clarification.

What we are trying to avoid here is a "Well I heard..." environment, where unchecked information about people at the highest echelon of our profession can be put forth on the World Wide Web as factual. I'm sure you meant no harm in your inquiry, but my guess is you're trying to find out what the personal reasons were for Mr. Sullivan's move. Maybe some participants will volunteer some answers to you via private messages, but they won't be posted on this forum.

As for conjecture, the Cleveland Orchestra is pretty good! Maybe he just wanted to play there.

8. abbedd

abbedd Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2005
    <<As for conjecture, the Cleveland Orchestra is pretty good! Maybe he just wanted to play there>>

I hope it is better than today's NY Phil

Abbedd

9. sinfoniantrumpeter

sinfoniantrumpeter Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2005
    hahaha.....well Cleveland is a top-rate orchestra with top of the line trumpeters, IMO. Of course I also feel that way about the NYP, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
    ST

10. romey1

romey1 Banned

Oct 25, 2003
    Don't we all wish we were as good as Mr. Sullivan to even have such choices.

:shock:

romey