Why did you do it?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Young Trumpeter, May 6, 2007.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Well, I had a lot of reasons to go into this. Long story short: it chose me.

2. Young Trumpeter

Young Trumpeter Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2006
    just to add a part two to the question, what sort of playing oppurtunities to you get?

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Well, when it's the season for musicals, I get called to play shows. During the summer, I do one in conjunction with the Crane School of Music Community Performance Series. Sometimes, during the holiday season, I get called to play for miscellaneous church services; I've played a few weddings, too. At St. Lawrence University, I usually play for their fall choral concert, since I'm an adjunct there. And, there is The Northern Symphonic Winds that I've been with for about 5 years now, 3 times a year. And the occasional orchestra audition here or there within 4 hours driving time. (I'd like to increase my time in a major, consistent, ensemble).

Some areas (like suburban Albany, Rochester, Buffalo or NYC) may have more abundant playing opportunities. Unless you are good at making your own opportunities, there really is not much up here in rural northern NY other than that. hmmm... making your own opportunities... now you've made me think...

4. DevilishTrumpetPlayerGod

DevilishTrumpetPlayerGod New Friend

May 10, 2007
    Southern Tier
    I know your situation i am a Junior in High School currently and have made the decision to become a Music Teacher with a concentration in the trumpet. What made me come to this decision, very simple. I love playing my trumpet and I have had opportunities to teach at a summer camp and i love teaching. I have had the chance to help my music teacher teach his younger players just as like a shadowing deal. I enjoyed it because I got to share what I knew. If you are very serious about teaching, ask your music teacher first hand. It will be very amazing the answers you could get, you may learn a lot about your music teacher.