why do I have to suck at trumpet?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Lazorphaze, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    gah, I suck.
    I suck, I suck. No high notes, no tone, no anything.
    I should quit.

2. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    I've heard your clips and you sound good, especially for your age.
    We all have rough days. I had a terrible playing day Saturday. It happens to the best of us. Just channel your negative thinking into positive thinking and you'll grow immensely from it. Don't get yourself down.

3. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Take a day off. If you try and practice when you're in a bad mood you'll only frustrate yourself more. Some people believe that if you practice when you're not in the right head-space you could actually make yourself a worse musician.

If you're having a rough day and you don't have to play, don't. Put the horn down and tomorrow's another day. Now, if you sound bad for longer than a day or two you might have more serious problems and you should spend some time with a pro.
    ...but I think you'll be okay tomorrow. :-)

4. kdawg

kdawg New Friend

Nov 19, 2003
    yeah sucks don't it? i hate having bad days, and i've had way too many within the past week. I've had to start seriously practicing again to get myself back in shape for spring concerts/juries/contest. today was another bad day, but i'm going to blame it on yesterday's 4 hours of playing. next up is the college jazz band concert on thursday, the hardest show i've ever had to play for (lead, and the director chose some pretty high stuff). makes me wish i'd had more time to practice earlier this semester, i hate being both a college student and a h.s. senior.

(finishes venting)

If you're not just having a bad day though, and you are seriously having problems with your range and endurance, you should get your hands on a good private teacher. just keep practicing, it'll pay off.
    Well, time to go finish the research paper i've been putting off, oh how i wish i were practicing instead.

5. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    I agree...When I have a bad playing day, I just put the horn down and come back to it the next day (and believe me, I do that alot). Don't let it get to you....If you do, It'll just eat at you. Play your horn for the sheer joy of playing trumpet....Those are always my best days.

JGW

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    When I have a bad day.... I give the horn a total cleaning. Part of that process involves "giving it a whirl" to make sure the valves are all running right after I'm done.

Surprise! Usually I end up having a great (but shortened) practice and the next day is GREAT!

7. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    take a day off and keep your head up!

8. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK

I think I see your problem. You should BLOW! :lol:

Seriously, take it easy getting good at this thing is slow process. Play the long game, be patient, and periodically look back at how you good you were a while ago and see how much you havee improved. You will feel better about yourself.

9. fatpauly

fatpauly Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Ellicott City, Maryland
  10. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    I like that one....I need that poster