Why do I keep getting really airy sounding tone all of a sudden?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by degree210, Oct 25, 2009.

1. degree210

degree210 New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    Every once and a while for a few days my tone changes and it sounds very airy sort of like my aperture is too open and too much air is getting through and not enough vibration is happening. How is this fixed so that this occasional annoyance stops occuring? Thanks!

2. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Without seeing you in person it's impossible to accurately diagnosis what might be causing your problem. It could be any of a number of things, from chapped lips to swollen lips from a food reaction (MSG affects me that way) to having worked on overly challenging music the previous night.

One suggestion would be to keep a diary of such occurences, noting as carefully as you can if anything physical is different (you have a headache, you feel bloated, your breathing seems labored, what you've eaten out of the ordinary), and perhaps you can find a pattern that will help you avoid these periods in the future.

In the meantime, when it happens, revert to practicing slow, quiet lower stuff to try to get your good tone back.

3. Jazzcmor

Jazzcmor New Friend

Sep 23, 2009
    Blue Ridge Parkway, VA.
    This has happened to me also. It seems to be related to going for the high notes before a proper warm-up. I'm a comeback player and without a good warm-up my chops don't cooperate.