Why do people conceal the serial number on advertisements?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by smokin valves, Apr 29, 2012.

1. smokin valves

smokin valves Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2011
    I was looking at a few ads and realized that people often only show the first two digits of the serial number e.g. 54xxxx (what my strad would be). I guess this is some security measure? Could someone please enlighten me?

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    You are right, it is a security measure because con artist and scammers will steal the photos, then readvertise the horn on another site, demanding cas, money oreder or a wire transfer and they will then send you this rare but beautiful horn at an unbelievably low price. They visit sites like this to grab their pics. They will usually say that they don't take PayPal because it is such a rip off, or that they had trouble with before. They also refuse escrow accounts because they don't trust them. They are full of lies.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The first couple of numbers will give the interested the approximate age of the horn (and quality of build in the case of companies with ups and downs......). That is the significance. There are several online resources to check serial numbers.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes, it is a security issue but also a "two-way street" and you may be just going the wrong way. Displaying a full serial number may also disclose a stolen instrument. I don't accept PayPal, credit cards, or any personal or commercial checks either. All I acccept is cash in U.S, currency or U.S. Postal Service money orders. Cash only is used in a face to face transaction. My usage of a U.S. Postal Money Order protects me as a seller, and you as a buyer because if there is any misrepresentation by either, the U.S. Postal Inspectors will lower the boom and scoop up the offender(s). I pre pay this way and I expect you to.

5. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    To protect the buyer, I would want the whole world to know everything about the Bundy I just stole for $39.00, ya know?

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I don't know of anyone who knows about the source of all Bundy instruments. To my knowledge there has been no Bundy musical instrument factory in the U.S. We do know that George made a pretty good deal with Selmer to market a student line in the U.S. What other vendor(s) supplied him? I've bought a nice one for less and sold it for more than twice what I paid for it. It's possible they'd be OK for a beginner. Yeah, I think the Bundy story compares to "The Music Man".

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Say what you want, I'm NOT sharing my Bundy info..........:-?

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Really the only time a serial number is essential to be disclosed to another is when you are showing the instrument to a prospective buyer. I also include it on my Bill of Sale.