Why do people try to sound dark?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Brass_of_all_Trades, Sep 20, 2014.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    A good sound man can make you or break you. CB and a good sound man equals sales. Nothing to take away from Botti at all. I am sure he goes through much less processing than the average "singer"! ;-)

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ha! I didn't even notice all those pillows! I guess the drummer distracted me. But aren't all those monitors facing the performers?

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    a drummer is a guy who hangs out with musicians -- you should never let them distract you

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    THIS drummer was no "guy".

5. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    Like I said earlier, I really can't agree with Rowuk more on this one. The mind is an extremely powerful thing and it is also very easily manipulated by external forces whether it be someone saying you can only play one type of music on one type of mouthpiece or even convincing yourself that something is true.

6. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    You've almost convinced my mind. Naw.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Aren't they stacked behind the speakers, which are monitors facing towards the musicians so they can hear themselves?
    I'd say the cushions are there to look better than the black boxes with wires coming out of them.

--bumblebee

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Wow. This is a first for me. I've never seen anyone post that they play a Schilke 11. The reason I mention it is because that's the same mpc I play.

(Actually, a Model H left over from my school years.)

9. strad116055

strad116055 Pianissimo User

May 27, 2014
    chicago
    that "H" stands for herseth, and if you listen to the old recordings of the cso with reiner where bud was playing the bach mouthpiece that the 11 is built on, you will know that no apologies for a your mouthpiece are necessary.

10. strad116055

strad116055 Pianissimo User

May 27, 2014
    chicago
    chris botti could play any mouthpiece that he wanted. he's paid the dues and put in the time. he's chosen his sound, and his horn and mouthpiece come form that. playng chris botti's setup does not make anyone chris botti. when you pay the dues and put in the time, pick any mouthpiece you want, and the rest of us will all buy one to try and sound like you.