Why do people try to sound dark?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Brass_of_all_Trades, Sep 20, 2014.

1. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    From Steven Emery, with comments from Bert Truax and Jon Lewis, all of whom have "been there and done that" with the best in the world.
    Today at GR Technologies...: Bright vs Dark Trumpet Sound
    Many posters here have little or no idea on what they really sound like in front of the bell and out in the audience.
    Rich T.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So what do you mean by dark?

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It truly is all in physics... and then how the mind perceives it.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A subjective review... now post an objective one, please.

5. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    I don't believe you can get as dark and smokey as I want with that. I think you can probably get dull and tense sounding with that. My definition: Dark is Wick no letter, bright is something I don't have any mouthpieces for.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes exactly... it appears to some, dark and bright is actually dull and tense... and mouthpiece placement changes will lead to this.

7. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Of course: what is dark?

But, my thoughts on "dark" sound:

I have a friend (I hope he doesn't visit TM) who is a typical classical player. He works really hard to have a dark, round sound. In my ears it's not even close to a symphonic sound, and neither like a typical solo sound. It sounds pretty much like a cornet, and I really can't see the point. He should have just played the cornet and worked on other things instead. (in case he visits TM, he is a really good player)

But, when I listen to Jon Hassell, Dusko Goykovich, Mathias Eick i.a. I LOVE the "dark" sound. I feel like they use the sound very wisely, and very thoughtful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1y4J9-CYiI

8. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Dark Knight vs.
    White Knight

Whose side are YOU on?

9. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    Guess it's like a violin versus a viola -- you can play a LOT of slow violin rep on a viola, and it will sound smokier. I tend to prefer it. I'm a rank newbie, but from what I'm listening to to get myself oriented, I'm thinking that it's a bit like trumpet versus cornet or flugel. I could be wrong and probably am since I don't really know what the hell I'm talking about yet. In a few years time, I might be playing a cornet after learning my way a bit since I do like the sound. I guess some people might like the sound of a cornet but also like the way trumpets handle?

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I hear this a lot and don't really know why. I played a DW 1 for years, and am slowly getting back to where I can at least contemplate going back to something similar. Granted, it's hard to make them shriek like a banshee (or jet-tone), and principal would probably prefer a little less depth for the top line, but if you don't actually need that, they'll do pretty much everything else won't they?