Why do people try to sound dark?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Brass_of_all_Trades, Sep 20, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Viola's are definately smokier, when bowed with a match stick. I prefer it that way too. This is a good thing.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not dark at all... I call this a rich tone. I'll take rich over dark any day. This is a fabulous performer. Thanks for posting.

3. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    When I die, I'm going to be cremated just to be darker and smokier than all y'all :cool:

tobylou8 likes this.
  4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Reads as if likely, but first with the body mass being mostly water, crematory ashes are a very light grey, and now with mandated smoke abatement requiring scrubbers on the crematory chimney your remains will produce just a wisp. Also, some others of us may select cremation and after your death you'll not know if you are "darker" or "smokier" than others. Otherwise, I can tell you when that casket lid closes, there isn't anything darker than the total absence of light.

5. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    A fourth down, but close enough considering that they can play and octave and a fourth below us.

6. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Mathias Eick is one of my favorites. His "Skala" and "The Door" CDs are fantastic.

7. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Sometimes the one that appears like a silhouette, sometimes the one that is shiny and almost reflective as a mirror...

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    so I don't stick out like a sore thumb in community band -- like those idiot's with Strads do, and when they fail to count and make a "BLURB" note --- everyone knows who to look at ---- then again, I can play ----- those idiots with a strad also stick out on higher note passages, they can't even make it blend it --- they sound so stupid --- ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. BurnabyBrass

BurnabyBrass New Friend

Jun 23, 2014
    It has to do with blending. If you're bright and the other guy or guys are dark, you might want to be dark to blend, because bright can sound shrill relative to dark.