Why do people try to sound dark?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Brass_of_all_Trades, Sep 20, 2014.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    :shock:

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh - I can get the 1055 Flair to blend with the community band (keeping in mind there are numerous instruments --- 3 or 4 Strads, a couple of Bachs --- the other 2 players in the 3rd trumpet section with me in the winter - both use cornets.. I can finesse the 1055 Flair, dial it down --- but it's easy to get "carried away" with it's volume and ease at many of the notes ------------------- that's why I use the 2055 Flair for winter (inside concerts) --that Flair, which is heavier and darker, is more suitable for the auditoriums ------------- oh, don't worry, I can get her to "sound out", but you really have to try ---- both Flairs are very different in my opinion ------ So yes, I can do a Duet with you anyday and with either Flair -- we can make it sound good ------- more than likely though, one Flair or the other will take some finesse, or some oomph to match what horn you are using --

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    You know, using vague words like "dark" and "bright" just doesn't cut it. You have to relate a word to a sound. It's better to say, "I want to sound more Bud Herseth and less Wynton" or the other way if that's what you want.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Perhaps if instead of comparing using the sight sense, we should use another sense, such as smell, touch or taste?

--bumblebee

5. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    How about:

"Your sound is like the smell of dog poop. Change it to the smell of fresh cut roses."

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The F trumpet was standard fair in Germany, Austria and Russia before the turn of the century. Due to its length and primarily cylindrical bore, it could be considered the last real "trumpet". My trumpet teacher here talked about the F trumpet players calling the modern Bb a "high Bb". The traditionalists were not happy with the "thin" sound of the modern horn, but security of playing became more important.......

The F trumpet is what Schumann, Schubert, Strauss, Wagner, Mahler, Bruckner and the rest of the romantic composers had in mind.

Today, the F trumpet is sometimes used for Tschaikowsky and Schostakovitsch. The sound is not light or dark, rather more like a natural trumpet with a royal auburn sheen. Pictures and sound bites to come!

My horn uses a standard Bb mouthpiece and is not the contralto type of horn known in the US. Mine is pitched in "Vienna" pitch A=465. The F trumpet here was a soprano instrument.

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    What Rimsky-Korsakov had to say about F trumpet (I think he's talking about the same thing):

[​IMG]

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    So..then..would Herseth's sound be bright and Wynton's dark?

9. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    No, he's not. The (old) orchestral F trumpet is not at all the same thing as the (slightly less old) alto trumpet in F.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Instead of using "dark" and "bright" as extremes, let's use "dull" (I like the German term "dumpf" because of the way it sounds) for one end of the continuum and "tinny" (or "buzzsaw-ish") at the other. If we use these as the extremes of a bell curve we'll find that "dark" and "bright" are placed towards the middle, and not too far apart from each other.

I believe playing with a sound that is resonant and rich can meet the needs for "darkness" and "brightness" all at the same time.