Why do people try to sound dark?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Brass_of_all_Trades, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    As dark and smokey as I want. Key word "I". We may have drastically different definitions but, I think of it as light and smooth. Light as in airy, smooth as in a nice even tone.

2. strad116055

strad116055 Pianissimo User

May 27, 2014
    chicago
    at the risk of incurring the thunderbolt, i'm going to go on here just a little. this drives rowuk nuts, and i think i may understand why. when we choose a metaphor, such as aural components of trumpet sound equaling light or color, in order for it to be meaningful, we cannot be complacent or lazy, and we cannot in good concience seek easy answers. we are trying to understand great artists; (bud herseth and wynton have been mentioned), to learn what we can, and we are using two opposing words. but to limit the discussion to this is over simplification to the point of being moronic. the spectrum of color and light is infinitely variable; beyond what is visible to the human eye. the overtone spectrum of the trumpet in the hands of a true artist such as these men: likewise. it is not limited to bright and dark. likewise it is not limited to a certain type of horn or mouthpiece. the only limits are the those of the human imagination and the limits of our artistry. we may not all be able to acheive the pallette of a bud herseth. but we owe it to ourselves to speak about it intelligently, and to try and use language that does it justice, whatever metaphor we may choose to try and understand it.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The tweeter with bass is called a headphone - plenty of slam and bottom end. My AKG 701s or Beyer Dt770s both have drivers under an inch or two. You are missing the point however, Dark is not neccesarily frequency response. Even YOU can play the 6a4a dark, most easily at soft volumes into a microphone (no EQ). I used a 14a4a for lead but played symphony rehearsals with it when I forgot my standard mouthpiece.

You can believe whatever you want to. Even a youtube example proves nothing unless you saw HOW it was recorded. Read the thread "how a trumpet works". The mechanisms are described there in detail.

4. limepickle

limepickle Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I've always liked the terms dark and bright, but maybe they are not the most appropriate terms to describe what is happening.
    You can say that the tone of concert trumpet is "dark," but in comparison to what? Certainly, a concert trumpet soloist is not
    going to sound darker than the clarinet player. But in comparison to a swing era jazz player, of course he will. For example, compare
    the last note of the piccolo trumpet solo in Penny Lane (1:27) to Roy Eldridge playing the same pitch (concert Eb) in Rockin' Chair (1:56).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FlQCtg96SQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyNqyiiPVcI

The piccolo trumpet is clearly darker, but I don't know if it I would call it dark on its own.
    Maybe people that are trying to sound "dark" are trying to sound especially darker than the
    ordinary trumpet player. Personally, I don't like that sound concept.

EDIT: Better Recordings

5. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hi Guys,

So can you replace the words "dark and bright" with words like "sad and cheerful"?

Cheers,

PaulD

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Depends on the key signature!!! ;-)

7. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    Then I will simply consider your refusal to put up or shut up to be an admission that I and others that believe the tool has an impact to be correct and you simply don't want to admit that you are wrong on this one.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Timofei Dokshizer could sound plenty dark on his Bach 7E.

9. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    :troll:

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Yeah. This so-called "issue" of whether or not "dark" and "light" are descriptive or not, to me, is a NON-issue, cropping up on internet forums with predictable regularity. These terms have been used universally for eons. Everybody knows what they mean relatively unless they choose not to understand what they mean.

If one wants to be precise in a personal way, yep, it's more precise to use specific acoustic examples. . . "I want to sound more like Arturo than early Miles".
    But if one says, "I think player X plays darker than player Z" everyone knows what the intent of that statement is.

Liked I said - a non-issue.

bumblebee likes this.