Why Do Pros Prefer Gold Finish?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tgl, Aug 19, 2010.

1. tgl

tgl New Friend

Aug 4, 2010
    Dallas
    Greetings!

Why do most professional trumpet players play raw brass or gold finish horns?

Can you name any high profile non-orchestra players who prefer silver or black, red, etc.?

Thanks!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't know where you have been looking. Obviously not at live concerts. Very few pros use raw brass or gold on their main horns. Silver probably has 60% of the pro market, lacquered brass 35%.

Not everything that you see in an ad is what happens on stage.

3. RandyTx

RandyTx Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    Some seem to think it sounds "warmer", opinions vary on that being true or untrue. It is more durable than other finishes, since it is actually double plated. Silver first, then gold on top. Some individuals seem to react chemically to some lacquer and silver finishes, where gold is mostly immune to this as I understand it. I've never had the issue, but I have known other people that literally eat through finish on instruments, and even metallic watch bands and cases in short order due to something in the personal skin makeup and/or sweat.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  4. tgl

tgl New Friend

Aug 4, 2010
    Dallas
    Thanks for the feedback!

5. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Because they can afford it !! Helloooo.........

6. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA

thl,

I don't think you can document professional trumpet players generally play raw brass or gold finish? Do you have a source that is telling you that?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

7. gerry

gerry New Friend

Jul 8, 2010
    England
    With most professional trumpet players I have ever played with or gone to see have silver plated or silver plated with gold trims trumpets.
    That is just in my experience

8. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    If it is not some sort of heavy sound deading Laquer. I would love to have my vintage horns treated with that vintage look. That Trent Austin is offering on some of his Horn models.

Not sure what it would cost and how long it lasts. Silver Plating may cheaper and over all better.

Will have to ask Trent about that sometime in the future. If He or his Music Tech. could learn how to do it. Could be a additional sells option for his Business.

9. gerry

gerry New Friend

Jul 8, 2010
    England
    With most professional trumpet players I have ever played with or gone to see have silver plated or silver plated with gold trims trumpets.
    That is just in my experience

10. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    I have seen pros play all kinds of horns. While silver plating is the predominant finish in my experience, those that I have talked to who have gold plated horns chose that finish because it is easier to maintain and keep clean. I do not recall talking to any who ever expressed a belief in a sound sound difference.

However, some player do believe there is a sound difference between lacquer and silver plate. Personally I cannot hear it, but they likely have better ears than I.