Why do some people consider Nakariakov to be a mere technician?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by _TrumpeT_, Dec 26, 2006.

1. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    I don't want to stir up a controversy here but looks like that may be what will happen. Having read some of the posts regarding his playing on the oTHer site that's the impression I get. While I never did manage to listen through the entire performance of real trumpet concerti in one sitting, he did make those recordings when he was only 14! :) Violinists may laugh when they read this but I found his rendition of Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso as beautiful as Oistrakh's (with BSO, found the recording by accident at home), Heifetz's and Stern's (search youtube) instead of being a mere technical display. Please give this guy another chance (well he already has enough fans) if you are one of those people.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Pure jealosy! I get tired of the lower class publishing crap like this. We have also have Wynton bashers also on a regular basis. What idiots think that they are in a position to criticize these great players? What possible use could this biased information serve: only to give a forum to the lame brained.
    I have heard him live several times. He offers a stable interpretation without doing things different just to be different. His readings of bassoon concertos are excellent giving them the musical flow as intended by the composer with dynamics only a brass player can offer. 2 Weeks ago he played the Arutunian with the St. Petersburg Symphony - absolute brilliant reading. First and last movement with fire - middle with russian soul! Inspiring!

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    To answer you succinctly... it's because they're jealous idiots.

Not only has Nakarjakov the technical facility and command of the full register to play virtually anything he wishes, he has an ability to interpret like you rarely get to hear because of those abilities. He looks as though he's not working at all, he doesn't sway about and to the uneducated that means he's cold.

Heifetz got the same rap when he was at his height and it's nonsense, of course. Both men have verve and passion when they play but are blessed with a technique that is enviable by many. I heard a transcription of one of the Haydn cello concerti that he made for four valved flugelhorn that left me breathless in it's musicality.

Remember also that he became known when he was still a boy. The interpretations of those days may not be as mature as what he does now and people feel comfortable judging him on those early recordings which is silly. They might as well do the same with Midori. It's been wonderful listening to him grow interpretavely.

So, don't worry about fools. Enjoy the fruits of the gifts he has received to entertain us, he's a great musician.

ML

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I'm with Manny. Nakariakov is a "bit" more than a "mere technician".

and

what you read on the other site should not necessarily be considered representative of people in general. A great many people on this website are here because they could not longer stand some of the attitudes and ignorance displayed on the other site. What is read over there should be left over there.

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    I can see that much of the problem stems from the fact that the recordings he has made have been of the flash technical pieces that are not necessarily the greatest way of demonstrating one's musicality.

I am looking forward to about 10-20 years time when he has been given the chance to yet further mature musically - I think there could be great things ahead. We have had some very impressive playing so far but I think the best is yet to come. Manny made a good point with Midori - when she first appeared as a soloist a lot was made of her age and amazing technical ability, the fact that she was so young and able to play all those pieces was reason enough for her to be well-known. She then went out of favour (as the next young starlet amazed the world by playing concertos when aged 9:roll:) and is now, once again, being regarded as a soloist worth hearing.
    I can easily see the same happening with Sergei's playing. Give him a few years and he will be back in favour with the musical world.

Oh, as for the discussion was started on TH - there are more participants over there, of course there will be more opinions offered. What you don't find quite so often on TH is the smugness that can sadly be found on TM (usually by people who wouldn't be here if it were not for TH in the first place).
    Negative comments on one site about the other is never helpful - each site has good points, each has some that you might not be so keen on - enjoy the good things on each site, ignore the less than good.

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    His problem, and he really doesn't have one with musicians, is in the minds of some of the trumpet blowers at TH. At THe oTHer place it's okay to bash regardless of the truth about the artist.
    Wilmer

7. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    He's never been out of favo(u)r in mine. I find him to be electrifying.

Happy Boxing Day,
    EC

8. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I have enjoyed watching/hearing him grow musically and look forward to witnessing his evolvement as many more years pass. I have enjoyed witnessing Wynton's development as a human being and a trumpeter over the past twenty years and will continue to do so. Do I like everything these two do on their instruments? No, but as a complete package, they have been fascinating to follow and have my respect as musicians and trumpeters.

9. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    Oh, I wasn't intending to bash the other site... I post there... sorry you looked at it that way... just clarifying my sources. Just to show my honest intentions I posed the same question on TH as well.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  10. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I heard him play the Haydn live a few years back and it was one of the most musical Haydn performances I've ever heard, his Tomasi also remains my favorite, I can't imagine anyone with any sense not liking his playing, of course that would require sense.