Why do some people consider Nakariakov to be a mere technician?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by _TrumpeT_, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Again, let's go back to the ORIGINAL question posed and why that gave rise to the reaction it did.

It's not about any player being dubbed a mere technician, it's about someone who has proven himself over and over as a fine, more than fine interpreter of great music, Segei Najakarov.

So, that's my point, that the reactions are to the original question posed not to the theoretical ones that have evolved as a result of the discussion.

ML

2. brianwhitehead

brianwhitehead New Friend

Dec 16, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK

I see what you mean, but does any player ever get to the stage where he/she is beyond criticism? Provided people ask questions intelligently, and for a genuine reason, it is good for people occassionally to question received wisdom and/or examine idols for feet of clay. However, I am perfectly satisfied that Mr Nakariakov's feet are made of some substance other than clay!

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    The question was not "Is any artist beyond criticism?" The question was whether Najakarov was a "mere" technician. If we focus like laser beams to the question the answer is obvious.

Past that, no artist is beyond criticism if the criticism has merit or basis in reality. Lew Soloff and I once had a conversation about this very subject. His words were exactly "I don't understand why it is that so many people have trouble giving it up for Sergei Najakarov... I don't get it!". I told him I didn't get it either.

The original poster was reacting to several people on another website who, in different conversations, put Najakarov down as nothing more than a technician. That's why this whole post began: he was incredulous at how people could say that given what a fine musician he is.

Boy, I hope that exlains all this.

ML

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Thank you Manny!
    A Nakariakov CD for the sceptics: Echoes of the Past
    This one got me practicing flugelhorn again!

5. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I think there may also be some jealousy involved here. I mean, he was already blowing most of us out of the water with his playing before he even started shaving!

He is an incredible musician, and does not need to take a back seat to anyone.