Why do we play trumpet or should I say why do I play trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, May 10, 2011.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    why do we play ...I started playing again 2 years ago at 58 years old now at 60 all I get from friends and even my teacher who is a pro trumpet player is "your playing for fun not to make a buck .....so I guess I will never be a pro. but you know guys it kinda makes me sad ,I dont know why I still play or take lessons yes I enjoy playing but why? ........ sorry I dont mean to offend anyone ,Anthony:-(

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    We play to make a difference in our lives.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Motivation in life is a very individual thing. I judge my personal success on how many people in the audience go home happy - and are willing to come back and listen again.

One of the most critical parts of being a teacher, is helping your students to develop audiences. Happy birthday normally is a great way to introduce a struggling beginner to the joys of performing. If you are in tune to those around you, your audience will find you. That is when the magic happens.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    we play because if we don't --- THEN we would want to!!!!!

5. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Whats wrong with playing for fun? There are probably hundred of hobbies that are not beneficial. Maybe later on in your trumpet playing life you will decide to get serious and you will strive for more. I doubt most of the people here weren't very serious in there trumpet playing early on.
    If you are confident in your ability it wouldn't hurt to join a community band or something like that so you atl east get accustomed to playing with an ensemble if you have no previous ensemble experience.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Life is an ever learning journey; for Musos it is an ever listening journey as well.

I play to enjoy it, and an opportunity to play with like minded people to make music together in a Band. For me it is good for the soul, exercises another part of the brain, and gives creatiivity a go. Sharing the making of music (and understanding that an audience is the target) makes it more fun.

Lessons (?), yes you bet I still take them, and like you I am only back playing for a short time. I try to read, think, and play as much as I can to improve. It is self-improvement. Friday night lessons with a teacher who is almost my age is a highlight of the week. I have taken lessons from young students at Conservatorium - we learn as much from each other.
    Can I make a living from it? Now in my 50s and chasing you Anthony - simply No is the answer. Does it matter? Simply No is the answer. It is fun, and the shape, brand, and type of trumpet does not matter. The trumpet is just a tube of brass, It makes no noise by itself. The sound only comes from the person at the end of the brass - good or bad - that is where we start to improve by playing that end of the brass tube. The sound is yours, And that comes from your inner self - brain etc...made from the development of a sound created from listening to the people you like on trumpet, then practicing the technical skills to allow you to recreate that sound.

Why do we play? = It brings joy to the soul. Keep swingin' Anthony...enjoy, and continue to aim for improvement. If we did not, we would still be living in caves.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I started playing the trumpet because it was a lot easier to carry around then my Hammond B-3. AND OF COURSE BECAUSE I'M AN EXRTOVERT.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hi Peter - it might be worth noting for people overseas that a Muso is a musician or lover of music. I didn't know that term before I came to this fatal shore.:-)

--bumblebee

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I didn't want to be in my 80's or later thinking,"What if..." ! I want to make the most of the gift given to me.

10. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    Also a comeback player in my 50's-

I play for fun, I play because I like the sound of a trumpet (even mine!), I play because I hope someday to be able to play what I hear in my head- if I don't get there, at least I got to enjoy the journey. I play, because I think it helps me be healthier in many ways (breathing, stress relief, creative outlet).

I play because, in some way, I feel like its helping me perfect myself. I play because I hope it will help me learn to express myself better and be a better speaker. I play because it lets me be more involved in the music in my life. I play because its making me learn more about music- things I never learned the first time around.

I play because its so cool to see (hear) the progress I'm making. Soon I'll be playing with other people again, and I remember how great that can be. I play because this time, I can do things my way. I play because I'm finally old enough to do it my way, just to make me happy- hope you like it too.

I never thought about this before, so thanks Anthony- I'll bet if you try, you'll find your own list.