Why do we play trumpet or should I say why do I play trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, May 10, 2011.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    It's an itch that needs to be scratched.

2. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Anthony,
    I play because I love the sound of the trumpet. I play because the trumpet has become a part of me. I play to express myself as an artist. I play for the therapy of playing. I play to escape from reality for a while. I play because it stimulates my mind. I play because it helps me grow as a person. I play for my children's memories. I play for my wife's smiles. I play for others at the park. I play for my love of Jazz. I play for my love of music. And after all this if I can make some money some day in the future, I will play for a career.

And I thank you Anthony as MVF has done for making me write it down and realize how much I do love playing. :-)

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  3. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Where in the rulebook does it ever say that you have to make money at something to enjoy doing it? I make my living as a musician now, but I used to make my living doing clothing alterations. I loved the job and was quite good at it, but it wasn't making me enough money to survive and wasn't what I wanted to be doing most of all. I still really enjoy sewing, however, and because I'm good at it, I enjoy helping my friends out. This time I do it for free, and it still makes me happy. Play because you love it and it's still a part of you - that's all that matters! :)

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    TrumpetMD, let me know if you need a topical steroid for that itch and I will send you a prescription!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That itch requires massive therapy. Rehab takes a lifetime. What a rash it leaves behind.......

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    We play because there is nothing like it ... I play mandolin, guitar ... respectably... ah but the trumpet ...tactile ... brilliant...
    It does require alot of time so the question really is understandable ... why am I doing this... I have asked myself the same thing .. especially during range exercises or those damn sixteeth notes above the staff in the Hadyn ... I think he was being a wise guy and didn't like trumpet players very much.
    and if none of that helped there is always this
    "because it is there"

7. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Why do we do anything? Because it gives us pleasure. A well-executed phrase gives us pleasure... the first time our sound makes us smile... when someone else looks at you and says, "You've been practicing..." All of theses things keep us going when things aren't going well and encourage us when they are. Yes, it is an itch that will abate if you put your horn in the closet and stop. BUT... just like cigarettes, don't pick it up again or you will find yourself playing again, with a renewed appreciation for the beauty you create, even if, as a comeback player and amateur, the beauty is only sporadic. We are all imperfect creatures, and the pursuit of perfection is enobling.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  8. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Thanks guys all of your positive words have enlightened me and made me want to practice more and with more passion ,Anthony:play:

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Ed, where did you get the pick of the Terminator playing a trumept?

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Make it for something good. :-)