Why Haven't Trumpets Improved Since the 1950s?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vizitiu, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Claude Gnocchi

Claude Gnocchi Mezzo Forte User

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    I am a player and a collector also & I have money, so I tend to buy many horns. Your comment is ridiculous because one can have many "favorite" and great playing horns....there is no ONE great horn; if there was such a thing then all the trumpet greats would be using THAT horn. For example, Avishai Cohen is a fantastic trumpeter; he plays a Josh Landress custom-made trumpet; Wynton prefers Monette (maybe because he has investment in Monette...), Tom Harrel, another great trumpeter, plays a vintage Conn Constellation, and so on. I have owned more than 200 trumpets; some I hated, many I like very much. The ones I mention have all "stood out" among the ones I currently have (about 20, at the moment). If you only have 1 horn and "stick with it" for 30 years, then good for you, but I like many trumpets. It does appear that they do keep improving as new techniques and materials are used. The Lotus and the KAT trumpet are only 2 of the latest new great trumpets.... I do NOT own these two, nor have I tried them, but a few great & famous trumpeters are singing their praises and they certainly are beautiful trumpets......

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sure there is... it's the one I have in my hand at the time I am playing... and feeling GREEEAAAAT!

3. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    this was what I was thinking as well, but didn't put it into words as well as here.
    The instrument is entirely secondary, it also does not have a self contained motor or anything within its mechanical components that physically produce that sound. We are not talking about a stringed instrument, though not to discount those analogies.
    We ( players ) are the motor, the impetus, the generator of the sound.

4. theo van kampen

theo van kampen Pianissimo User

May 30, 2004
    Amsterdam Holland
    I had the oppertunity to buy a XO Brass 1600i, it turned out to be a very good horn.
    But not as good as my Conn 22B Victor from mid 50's

I could sell it for a good price so no regrets

After all it's a big long brass tube with some plumbing, if you like the sound what is coming out of the bell it's a fine horn to you, if you do'nt like that sound it will never be a fine horn for you, whenever it costs $1.000.- or $10.000.-

5. Claude Gnocchi

Claude Gnocchi Mezzo Forte User

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    Agree, but if one can, the point is to have MANY horns to play (I have about 16 at the moment...) and enjoy them ALL; but some more than others. If you can really play, any horn (with few exceptions like a Harry Peddler...) will be useful, but some are just better instruments.....if ANY horn will do, you guys would be playing Olds Pintos...and you are not, or are you?

richtom likes this.
  6. theo van kampen

theo van kampen Pianissimo User

May 30, 2004
    Amsterdam Holland

We would but Olds didn't made enough Pintos

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 12:20 PM
  7. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Was Colorado...now Utah
    I thought Ford made Pintos.

8. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I believe that there is a certain common sense that it's not really clever to buy and use a mouthpiece because Maynard/Doc/Wynton/Arturo and others play on that mouthpiece. The same for horns, if Wynton plays a Monette nicely, I can't be sure it will be the horn for me. And ordering a 5000 dollar horn because Adam Rapa or some other hero made a nice sounding clip on youtube is for me a bridge too far. I am quite sure that most of us will want to hold and play a 5000 bucks horn, or at least one of that species, before buying it.
    But if you want to get rid of your money I am sure that Dave, Jason and Adam will love your attitude. But that doesn't make my comment ridiculous.

And if you persist in your youtube selecting proces for buying horns played by the great I know a very nice horn for you:

Nice shopping!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 1:10 PM
    theo van kampen likes this.
  9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that you mean “pee” trumpet.

10. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I thought that a pee trumpet is the nice little paper tool that women use if they want to pee standing in a public toilet for men.