Why I am here?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Sep 27, 2015.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    No, this thread is not existentialist (I didn't even know how to spell it!). This thread will hopefully describe why I spend time on this forum.

I am a past professional trumpet player who has noticed a marked decline in the ideals of Music making during my career. There is too much emphasis on the notes, and not enough about the music. This encourages robotic performance and musical voids. Recently at a regular lunchtime meeting, one major NY trumpet player expressed a similar view, quoting Bud Herseth as saying that (15 years before he retired) he would not pass the audition for the CSO job. There are students currently at Juilliard who do not recognize Bill Vacchiano's name. It is unlikely that there will be legends remembered about our current crop of great players in the way that we remember Bud Herseth, Bill Vacchiano, Manny Klein, Ernie Royal, Ray Crisara et al.

I currently play in a number of ensembles; professional, semi-amateur, and amateur; this being my attempt to bring back the Music. I work to foster recreational music making in general, and recreational trumpet playing in particular. To this end we have formed a not for profit charity. I will, in future, be directing my teaching and lecture efforts more overtly to this cause.

And, of course, I will continue to design and build trumpets, as well as repairing them.

Our charity is:
    The Recreational Musician
    Website
    www.recreationalmusician.com

barliman2001 and amzi like this.
  2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Would you say that this is just a US phenomenon, or is it a world-wide trend?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bravo!

There are still enough of us left that have actually studied with these guys. It is discouraging when the young dynamics think that google has all the answers.

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    The only reason I play is for those moments when it feels like the music is just flowing through me and out the horn. I agree that there is to much emphasis on mastering the trumpet and playing the highest notes. For me it's all about love of music, I may not be the best but I really enjoy when I play even when I'm practicing

5. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Excellent post, Ivan.
    There are just too many players who think that higher, faster, and louder is all that there is. We can thank many influences for this, but the instant gratification some get from the internet has been quite damaging. Even on youtube, some players in love with their "talents" post examples of their rather poor playing and musicianship and still get kudos from others. There have been posts here with some great playing of a poster and there also has been some rather nasty sound posts by those looking for praise when none is due.
    Once upon a time, you could easily tell what orchestra was playing on the radio or on recorded media. Trumpet players such as Herseth, Vacchiano, Johnson, Voisin, and Adelstein to name the big 5 principals were all great players with different sounds and styles.
    I suppose the homogenization of the world has something to do with the changes in all styles of playing, but as Rowuk pointed out, too many think google has the answers.
    Rich T.

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    self-deleted

bumblebee likes this.
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ivan mentioned why he is here. The reason that I am here is because TrumpetMaster back when I joined semed more to be a venue to get real information out instead of just argue about it. This does get challenged from time to time by the cut and paste generation, but all in all, it still works.

I enjoy the opportunity to pass on first hand experiences and contemplate where we go as trumpeters.

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Ivan, it does seem that there is presently less concentration on substance than technique, but when I look back, I remember plenty of players who had great technique but, IMO, little soul, and people who were more impressed by them than by the guys who were more musical. When I read comments or see threads started with near orgasmic ecstasy over certain performances or bands/performers of the past which I consider rather crass, and then stop to consider that the guys posting and agreeing are often not young spring chickens themselves, it just reinforces how far back this attitude is and how it may not be a contemporary phenomenon at all.

There's no doubt technical mastery has increased over the years. It's always a problem for the older generation that somebody will do something that was considered impossible, so those following don't understand that it's impossible, and then they do it and take it from there to an ever higher level. In my own personal non-musical interests, I've seen the bar raised in the martial arts and surfing to levels previously unimagined.

The codification of teaching methods in the music education system, the lack of as many playing opportunities as in the past, and the homogeneity caused by the technology bringing us so instantly closer (as well as more mobility of players and conductors) have all changed the landscape. I struggle with this, but I try to stay relevant and a large part of that is trying to look at music the way a 20 year old might. What is their orientation and what are their musical values? And are they lacking or just different?

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    There ha been a shift here at TM from players first and collectors second to what appears more ane more discussion about trumpets rather than trumpet playing.

With the American election cycle coming up, bringing back the cage might be fun....

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's because it's a lot easier to buy the danged things than it is to play them well. ;-)