Why I Play Vintage

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dviglis, Dec 1, 2014.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I am old.
    I like old things.
    I like myself.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Then you'll REALLY like me!

3. Evergrey_rocks

Evergrey_rocks Piano User

Aug 18, 2013
    You want to hear opposite opinions...ok. Here's mine:

In reality, I don't really care what year the horn is as long as it plays and allows me to produce that full tone I love to produce. But for the intents and purposes of this thread, I am on the other side: I play on a mid 90's model Flair the majority of the time and I practice on the 2001 edition of the same horn at home. I love the design of the modern Silver Flair because it's super "user friendly" aka free blowing (for a modern horn anyway). I also love the tone out of the bell! I can manipulate it to be brighter for jazz or darker for most of the other stuff I play. Another great thing about these horns is the consistency; I can play both side by side and not feel a difference! Now there is a slight tonal difference due to condition...one has a dent in the lead pipe that causes it to be slightly brighter and the other is near perfect. Aside from the horn's actual qualities, I like that it's easy to find spare parts/replacement for it at a local shop. Other than that, there really isn't much reason for me to want a vintage horn. I mean I truly love playing the 2055t Silver Flair and while I am curious about the vintage 1055t, I honestly don't care about getting one just because I'm that happy with my modern ones.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sooner than you realize, you'll be a fan of vintage since you like those 2055's so much!! ;-)

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

AND in 2055, it WILL be a vintage horn!

6. Evergrey_rocks

Evergrey_rocks Piano User

Aug 18, 2013
    Yeah, I guess it will be

7. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    Right now, my '38 Super is outplaying damn near anything that I try.

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    '38 was a good year, the year I was born.:D My '41 Super is currently my favorite horn for Big Band.

Regards, Stuart.

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    :-)Would you guys knock it off with all the praise of the Super. With talk like that I'll never get prices down to where my wife will let me buy another.

10. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Super? At least in terms of cornets, I'd rather buy the vintage Weril copy... :-)
    [but that will not lower the price, and it really won't raise the price of the old Werils :shock:]