Why I Play Vintage

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dviglis, Dec 1, 2014.

1. RonD

RonD Pianissimo User

Jun 22, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Really? Have you played one? I have 5 other horns that I compare it to... but, I will bow to your expertise...

2. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    As will I when I can sell my current horns for much more than they cost used (thanks to the hype that will exist), then purchase horns that will literally be light-years ahead of the "best" today! :thumbsup:

The new horn smell, or the vintage case smell? Personally, I don't like either, but the vintage case can sometimes mellow a bit, while the out-gassing from a newer case can cause nausea...

3. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    Yes I have played many modern horns. Once upon a time, I played all new fangled Bachs, Monettes, Lawlers, and Harrelsons but, just could not "feel" them, you know? They were all FANTASTIC horns but, there is just something about them that vintage horns have and they don't, and it really must be experienced first hand to understand. Those of you who know what I am talking about get it. And this very well may be a placebo but, I honestly don't care because I don't mind not overpaying for horns anyways (I mean seriously almost $3000 for a new Bach Strad! You can get a very nice vintage strad for less than half of that, and it will play at the same level or better than that one you just pulled off the shelf at Sam Ash). Adding to that overly long parenthetical statement, $2,800 (the price of a new strad) can go VERY far on ebay if you know what your looking at :thumbsup:;-)

4. RonD

RonD Pianissimo User

Jun 22, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Dviglis,
    I hear what you're saying, but you weren't the one that suggested I was suffering from a "placebo effect".
    I merely expressed my experience.
    Obviously, experiences will differ.
    I just find it amazing that a contrary opinion warrants a personal attack.

5. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    Dviglis, I appreciate your passion and reasoning on this thread. Interesting, indeed. I have been fortunate to have a number newer vintage (nothing before 1940) and modern horns: Bueschers, Lawler, Couesnon, Weril, Getzen Power Bore, Selmer CG, Getzen SEV, Leblanc 727 Herriot, Getzen Genesis, Adams A4 SC, Edwards Gen3X, Romeo Adaci Refernz, Bach Strad 37 ... and others. I love the romance, style, and personality of the vintage axes and getting to be the one responsible to make sure it survives to play long into the future. My experience has left me knowing I could be happy with most if I 'just had 1'. But since I can have more than 1 and have played way more than 1, I typically prefer my newer horns when playing out. Not because I think they have better sound, but for better intonation, better valves, and playing where I am focused on musical expression instead of thinking about certain notes on a horn that play this way or that. That is my personal issue, probably caused by often switching between different horns instead of knowing 1 horn (or my inability to comfortably switch between horns that play differently) so well that I can play without thinking ... it is just easier for me to do that on the newer horns in my stable. As much as I love my 1961 Getzen Power Bore, and it is a great player to me, I would take any of my 'less than 10 year-old horns': Genesis, Gen3X, Adams A4, or the Referenz over it for overall playing feel and control. Perhaps it's all in my brain?

6. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    A nice analogy would be store bought vs. homemade cookies. Even if the store bought cookies were made with the exact same ingredients as the homemade ones, using similar processes, 9/10 would say that the homemade cookies taste better. There is just something about making something from the ground up, one at a time, with great care and skill that makes it feel better to the consumer. I mean obviously trumpets and cookies are not the same thing but it is essentially the same principal...

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I play Schilkes. They are exceptionally well made, and undoubtedly put together as well as virtually any vintage horn out there. Particularly with the B models. They were extensively prototyped using the scientific method until just the right combination was found before they were released as a model, and they have been made that way ever since. While there may be some new concepts toward better efficiency that have come to light since the 1960s when those horns were designed, I'd put a similar brand new Schilke (in terms of bore size and bell flare) up against any vintage horn out there. It will not be found wanting. The vintage horn might be though.

8. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    You could go with a vintage Weril, but the most you'd get is a neat looking instrument that pretty much copies the layout of a horn design from 20 years earlier (Holton/Olds cornets, peashooter trumpets) that doesn't play especially well...but post-1990s Weril is well-worth it!

That's why I try to make cookies that are as "mass-produced" seeming as possible [stamped out quickly], so that way there is almost no difference!

Note - I did not buy the Weril cornet pictured since it likely wasn't worth the $80 excluding shipping...

[​IMG]

9. Djmennis

Djmennis New Friend

Sep 25, 2014
    Cincinnati
    1958 Holton B47 in raw brass w/red brass bell main axe and love it, '53 collegiate to practice just damned fun to play and they both smell fantastic. Old is a love affair they may teach me a thing or two

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Of course there is. There's nothing special about a Martin Committee, yet people pay a large pile of money for them.

Me, I know I could play well on any number of horns. I picked Buescher for purely emotional reasons and then found the model that appealed to me the most to use daily. It's a great horn, and a lot of people have tried it and agreed.

For whatever reason, people find and try horns and eventually decide on what to keep and use. It's as much emotional as scientific.

Play what makes you happy, who care about someone else. :-)

(Try a Buescher, you might like it!)

Tom