Why I Play Vintage

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dviglis, Dec 1, 2014.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I guess that anywhere that you get your inspiration is fine. The bottom line is that our talents are never hardware based (unless we are collectors and not players). It is impossible to discuss or quantify the percentage of horn in what we do.

I will say that if a trumpet player can't get a standard Bb playing job done on a brand new Bach, Schilke or Yamaha, then they simply suck.

Once our playing is at a level that color becomes the significant difference, we all realize that it is no longer about "us" rather about "ours". Making music is mostly a collective activity and I have had enough disappointments with members of the ensembles phantasizing about the "magic" of their instruments.

There are so many fine horns available from all periods, I see no reason to limit myself. My newest horn was made in 2007, the oldest before 1900. Each has a defined position on the palette of colors that I offer. Almost all of them get played, the expectations of the contractor and other musicians are definitive.

2. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    I play vintage horns because I play vintage music. 60 year old music should be played on a 60 year old horn.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Says who? You?

So what would you do if you decided to delve solely into music composed during the Renaissance or Baroque eras?

4. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I play mostly vintage because i like the character of the look and sound of the horn, also, the history behind them.
    My Yamaha was my first pro horn and will one day make its way out of the collection.
    That said, my next purchase will most likely be a new (or super close to new) horn from a custom mfg person that has a character all its own, and tailored to my playing style/sound i am going for.
    I like visual character in the horns.
    A Bach Strad may be a great horn, but I doubt I will ever own one. I don't play professionally, I play for me. I don't need to blend well, etc. I like well designed things in all aspects of my life.
    It is a matter of personal preference and what you are using it for, no one is wrong or right in this area...

5. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I have to disagree here as well...
    Kermit Ruffins plays music almost exclusively by dead people, and has a brand new shiny horn (well a couple years old now) and he sounds fantastic.

6. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    I play vintage for the following reasons: Limited budget, limited practice , limited lesson time and I like the sound of the vintage cornets/trumpets. But I don't like the lack of a thumb saddle on the 1st slide. Only have been playing for just over a year. My two daughters are 4 years old and 7.5 years old. Both my wife and I work full time and as a Senior IT person, she many times works off the clock.

For some strange reason, I liked to buy cheap beat up instruments, get them cleaned, fixed and play them. Recently bought a Bundy student cornet from Shopgodwill.com for $40.00 including shipping and tax. When it arrived ,it was missing a water valve and didn't sound like any instrument I know. So had it cleaned and water key put on it. Used Blue Juice on the valves instead of Hetman's 1 and it sounds great. Not pretty but plays well.

Enjoying playing the different brands of cornets/trumpets and mouthpieces.

Conn Director 17 A cornet 1963
    Bach CR 300 cornet 1970s?
    Bundy cornet 1970s?
    Bach 7 C cornet mps( one to be sold soon on ebay)
    Curry 3 BBC cornet mp (soon to be sold on ebay)
    Denis Wick 2 BW cornet mp
    Denis Wick 3 B cornet mps
    Denis Wick 1.5 trumpet mp ( soon to be sold on ebay)
    Olds 3 cornet mps

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I have to play on an antique horn in the Civil War brass band. It has a nice, period sound, but it is a bear to play well. Couple that with our band being basically a quintet with drums, in order to cover most of the parts of a full band, the playing is practically non-stop on our typical gig. Alternate fingerings, lipping notes all over the place, horns that are built to varying tuning specs, limited dynamic range, etc. all combine to make me wish for a modern instrument when I'm fighting it. Luckily, I can also play in the modern world with better equipment...I'm not stuck in the 1800's. It does make one appreciate the advances in instrument technology over the last 150 years, though.

[​IMG]

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    The horns that don't have that saddle... don't need it.

There is no one way to build a horn; each design is a compromise. A different design philosophy will dictate how the horn is to be played.

Intonation on a classic Buescher horn, for example, is just a little off on many notes, so little that, because the horn slots wide, it only requires adjustment on the low C#. Since I learned to play on this design, I love it, because I don't have to adjust notes with first and third slides except for that low C#. It also requires that I play the note in tune, because the horn is "no help".

A Getzen horn, on the other hand, was designed for a very different intonation. It doesn't slot so wide, so the horn "helps" you play more in tune, but there are some notes that are a lot closer to correct and there are a few that require adjustment with the first and third slides. These horns drive me bonkers. :-)

Neither one is "correct", they're just different. If you owned both and played them regularly, you'd be used to it and could switch between one system and the other. I just stick with how I learned because I can easily play in tune with an ensemble and no one is paying me to play.

Tom

9. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    I play vintage trumpets mostly because I can get more bang for my buck, than I can with the modern stuff. I'd love to play a new Strad or Schilke, but I don't have a spare few thousand £'s / $'s.
    Havng said that I do like the idea of playing an instrument that has been played by others before me and I get some satisfaction from returning an instrument to something like its former glory: it has a romance to it that I like.
    I don't buy this idea that everything old is better made, although I have come across one or 2 simply beautiful vintage instruments. I would imagine that the people who make top end modern trumpets are just as devoted to their craft as those 50 years ago were.
    I'm no where near being a professional player and so for the most part I can live with the imperfections that can come with vintage instruments, as realistically I've got a lot of improving to do in terms of my playing skill, before the instrument seriously limits me.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I play vintage because it's what I have and love! I've played many new horns and some custom horns and can't see paying for new car smell when they aren't better.