Why I Play Vintage

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dviglis, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    Are you saying that has not already happened ?

2. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Indeed! Although I have to say, my Conn 5.5SC works in a wide variety of horns of many vintages...

I just found this post below, but I have to say I think you are correct - even the Conn 4 doesn't have a particularly tight throat, in my opinion...

3. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    When I first blew a '27 CONN 2B I couldn't believe how well it played . . . circles around my '80 Strad that I fought with for 25 years. I fell in love fast and hard.

These horns were cutting edge in their day and still hold their own in 2014. In 1927 my gold 2B

[​IMG]

sold for $190 cash price and a new Ford Model T could be had for $290, so roughly 2/3 of the price of a new car. A Ford Focus can be had today (here in Canada) starting at $16,810, making the modern $ equivalent for the 2B just over $11, 000!!! I know this isn't exactly as "apples to apples" as it seems, but still . . . holy crap! These horns were major major purchases, even raw brass models at half the price. People probably bought one in their life time and certainly didn't have a stable of them as is common today.

(Dale has an awesome picture of a dapper gentleman saying "I prefer vintage" he posted some years ago on TH. It would be perfect on this thread. I went looking for it, but couldn't find it. :-( Dale?)

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow, you are messing with my mind as to the Theory of Relativity? Time is weaving in and out of my commentary now. Wow, what a rush!

5. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    I played it tonight ... it was lovely in every way! Used the Horn Trader jazz mp and fell deep into a jazz coma = what a sweet sound!

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    [​IMG]

7. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    HA! Thanks, eh!

8. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Well, I do not know if that is really always the case. Valve wear & lack of compression, for example, is a serious issue found in many vintage instruments.

Yes, I agree in all respects - which is why I like BOTH my 1956 Olds Recording AND my 2014 made Carol Brass Trumpet just as much!

So this pretty much sums it up:

Emotions play an important role in the choice of an instrument, be it modern or vintage.

Side note: I had a chat with a drummer who said the best vintage cymbal sound he could ever get was out of a freshly made
    Turkish cymbal of a brand called Masterwork , and here the Verve model which is created by modern technology after the reverred old masters.
    Now that might be similar with trumpets or not, I just found that interesting.

9. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Technically speaking we are inhaling the same air the dinosaurs, Kleopatra and Mozart already breathed (did I forget any other important historical figures here? I do not know ;-)
    - just as we drink the water that has been p**d by the same beings...
    You know, it´s the circle of life stuff :lol:

10. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    You know, this is how I feel about lots of things. Music, books, records, cars...people. Things were better "back then."