Why I Play Vintage

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dviglis, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    As my list below shows, I play both.
    The old ones are great (though the Manhattan is so worn now it is difficult to play in tune)
    The Conn Vintage is great too.
    A good old is good. A good new is good.
    And garbage is garbage no matter how old it is.

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    (he was called Mr Meanley)

....carry on chaps.

tobylou8 likes this.
  3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I think both concepts have their merits. There are pieces that sound better on vintage - and I mean truly vintage - instruments; for others,the usually fuller tone of a modern instrument is required. And of course, it's always a question of the environment you're playing in. If you're in a Big Band where three trumpet players have a Bach 37 or clone thereof like a B&S Challenger II, you won't cut any ice with 1920s peashooter - it just won't blend. And if you're doing a 1920's Dixieland combo, a Monette would be rather out of place... Just imagine Dale doing a Civil War band gig with a Harrelson Bravura...

That said, it can be of special interest playing vintage. It's always a joy to me to get out my 1904 Glier Kuhlohorn; but if I play it in the wrong surroundings, it will be an atrocious experience for the audience. But for chorale and Christmas Carols, there's no better horn.

4. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    That is it, you nailed it. :-)
    When I play my great-grandfather´s Kuhlohorn at Christmas morning, I fell surrounded by the vapors of the past...

5. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    You can probably smell them, too!

6. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Sure, feel and smell, it is a unique synaesthetic experience. :)

7. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    "Kuhlohorn" - does that translate to "Cool (-o-) Horn" in English?

8. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
  9. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Had my first dose of Christmasitis yesterday- carols with the local wind band. We left the woodwinds at home - too wet for them. I played with the unorthodox combination of Kuhlohorn and picc... same mouthpiece for both, in fact, I was using the Stork Custom Vacchiano 4E I only play on the picc for the Kuhlohorn as well. It's the only hooter that will stand for this kind of treatment and still produce an amiable volume of sound. Afterwards, the twelve of us managed to down an amazing 56 mugs of hot mulled wine... well, it was free for the "blowers"... hic...

10. Bill Martin

Bill Martin Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2009
    Id (summer) CA (winter)
    - YUP - often happens to me. When I open one of my horn cases I never know immediately if I am seeing a friend or an enemy......