Why is high #C easier for me than high C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Jan 10, 2011.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    heres the deal

I can play nice and strong high #C, but I am struggling with high C, It is because I find it difficult to play high with all open valves. But when play with valves depressed it becames easier.

how come?

I play high #C with 1,2 valve position -that is maybe the easiest valve combination foe me regarding upper register

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I have some problems with some notes when I'm using my GR mouthpieces. A friend of mine who use very shallow pieces have big troubles with high A's.

With my Reeves piece I have all the notes:-)

Have you tried different mouthpieces?

3. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    yes I have bach1c bach3c and bach7c -it is the same with all of them

besides - I do not see a problem with mpc here? -maybe Im wrong -but it is only due to lenght of the pipe basically -the longer the pipe (all valves dovn - the easier it is to play higher), and the shorter the pipe (no valves) its harder :dontknow::dontknow:

4. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Probably not a mouthpiece problem for you, but I feel difference with different pieces! My lips don't fit for all of them. And yes, I know, It's (usually) the player, not the gear! I didn't say that this was the problem either, just asked if you had tried on different mouthpieces:-)

My friend use a lot of alternativ fingering in the high register, and I think he use 1st valve on high c.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If you talking about above finding it easier to play above the staff with more fingers, try pressing first valve for the high c, like rettepnoj suggests.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I see this as an issue that could be a couple of things. By adding valves, you add more resistance, so that might be one reason that the C# speaks easier than the C. Another reason could be inherent to the horn and it could be that the C# is actually naturally more in tune than the C so you don't have to lip it to hit the middle of the slot. It could also be an ill-fitting mouthpiece with either too much or too little gap in the receiver, which is causing some issues with focus and slotting for the C that might not be present with the C#.

Certain notes on many trumpets speak more clearly than others - a way that I believe rectifies that a great deal is by getting a valve alignment done. Bob Reeves would be my first stop for that (my Schilke B6 is Reeves aligned - would gladly pay to do it again) but others swear by the The Brass Bow, and I think there are a couple of other places that do it as well.

FWIW, I've always had an issue with E and F above high C, and it switches back and forth. If I'm nailing the F, it's like I can't seem to find the the E, but if I'm nailing the E, then I can't find the F, so I think that's a chops thing.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If C is an issue, then you have not really earned your high range yet. 1 note is NEVER a critical point and if the small bit of difference in resistance make or breaks 1 single note, then there are other issues that need much more attention.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yeah- I say it this way -- your at a breakpoint in your embouchure, where the lips just ain't jiving just right for that half step. but it can be cured. practice notes both sides of C#.

9. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    I cleaned trumpet and the lead pipe with a brush inside, and high C with open valves became much much easier, infact my range as a whole improved for about 4 tones, maybe more!!!!

10. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    :shhh::noway::lol: