Why is high #C easier for me than high C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I find that it has to do with the slotting. I can hit a high c, but often times when I am attempting a leap or interval jump I'll often hit a Bb.

Making a long explanation short, rowuk has got it. You haven't earned the high c yet.

2. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    Hmm, I feel like I have a problem playing F Natural top line, but all the other notes on both sides of the horn are good. Would a valve realignment help with this?

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It might. Are you playing on a Bach Strad by any chance? Apparently the top line F on Strads is questionable on many of them. Once when a friend was trying out my trumpet, he exclaimed, "Wow - your Strad actually has an F." When I asked him what he meant, he told me that F is a crummy note on a lot of Strads, but that mine didn't seem to have that problem. He was a really solid player too, older and considerably more experienced than me so I never questioned it, but kind of filed it away as one of those little lesser known factoids.

I'm not saying it is 100% true though - just one of those things that I have heard over the years.

4. ssbtrumpet1

ssbtrumpet1 New Friend

Jul 31, 2010
    Bay Area
    I can kind of relate. I can peel a C# & D with a nice clear sound and good volume. High C seems to be a bit squirrelly at times. But for me, I think it has more to do with getting the sound more clear. It could be a slotting problem, but I've been practicing centering in on the notes I can play well (C#/D) then moving down to the high C. All the while, trying to keep that consistent tone quality & volume. Once you can keep the tone consistently clear, then try and recreate the same sound and feeling coming in on the high C. Hope that makes sense.

5. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    Actually I am trickg, it seems like top line F is nutty to me, has been for years, regardless of my progress as a trumpet player. Have you ever had you valves realigned?

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I never did an alignment on a Strad, but I had my Schilke B6 aligned by Reeves. It comepletely changed my trumpet for the better. It was already a great horn, but it opened it up a bit, got rid of that tight feeling that it had to the blow, and it made the blow very even throughout. I'm not sure if getting an alignment would help this or not, although it very well could.

7. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    I had a Reeves alignment done on my Strad. It really made a great improvement in consistency throughout the horn. This made it easier to just play without having to adjust all the time.