Why is the trumpet world so male dominated?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetplayer24, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Trumpetplayer24

Trumpetplayer24 Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2013
    UK
    I'm a female trumpet player and frequently find myself being the only female in the trumpet sections in many bands and orchestras. Why is the trumpet seen as a 'male' instrument? :play:

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Our fellow TMer, KingTrumpet, has started a thread attempting to list all female trumpeters which you might be able to find. As he said there if I recall correctly, there may be fewer ladies playing trumpet but those who do tend to excel compared to the sea of mediocrity found among the blokes who play.

My band has 6 trumpets, three of whom are women. Apart from me, they are the best players in the band.

--bumblebee

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I don't know -- I researched that a while back --- and found out there are actually a lot of young women who play the trumpet --- I mean professionals that are on tour around the country. perhaps my thread will help you (http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/female-trumpet-players-directory-71384.html).

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    actually this thread is better --- after page 4, I found numerous FEMALE trumpet players

of course, I am a fan of Nicole Sasser, and Cindy Bradley, and Rachel Therrien -- of course they play well --- but admittedly, they have a certain amoung of "Sex appeal" ---- I am such an old DOG!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Deleted this strangely double-posted and time-shifted post

--bumblebee

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Some of the best trumpet players on the planet are women...
    Balsom, Helseth, Liesl Whittacker, and on and on. Leisl is a killer lead player, one of the best there is of any gender.

Don't let gender bias slow you down. Just go kick butt!

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO you answered your own question ... simply that fewer females pursue this "beast" if we are doing a per capita accounting, but I will stipulate that such is not because they can't for any rationale.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You're kidding right?

Have you read the comments of our male dominated members here on TM? I mean, yeah, there is me... but no one could possible be that sweet, understanding person as me... I mean... I am in touch with my inner female... the others here on this site... too much macho for their croucho...

Not me... sensitive and sweet.... yep... that's me.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And each and every one have reported Kingtrumpet to their local authorities as a stalker.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ...that needs to be neutered.

By the way KT, I have an opening in my clinic schedule, Thursday at high noon! The address: The I-75/I-70 underpass, there's a eucalyptus tree there so big that no one will see the procedure, and I use it's oil to numb the pain... and with that being the busiest interstate intersection on our US interstate system... no one will hear the screams.