Why is the trumpet world so male dominated?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetplayer24, Jul 23, 2013.

1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Why is the harp world so female-dominated? I don't understand what is not mainly about a GIANT stringed instrument that weighs a ton!

2. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Huh? Times are changing in this day and age. Check out Ingrid Jensen. Women sometimes still have to play better jazz than men to be really super accepted...but it's definitely happening. To play really good jazz worth paying $$ for to see anyway can be challenging for any jazz trumpet player...it's what you can really figure out and live..and be willing to pay the price... Watch the future...all great jazz players more and more..from every race, creed, and sex... creed? What's creed mean? Anyway, anyone who puts the time in and the sacrifice (if they feel it's worth it) is at least worth checking out to see if you like them.

3. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Is it because the acoustics in the kitchen are not very good? ROFL

4. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    I'll chip in for these...
    Neuticles.com

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Not all harps are the massive concert floor model. With my brass I've recorded a hymn duet with a male who played a Scottish harp (clarsach). Irish harps are lap size, and a Jew's harp one could put in pocket or purse. Adolph, later changed to Arthur "Harpo" Marx played a concert harp albeit his accomplishment skill on it questionable.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Really??? Gotta wonder bought a fella always checking out his dog's junk!!! Old Buck don't care! ROFL

Anyway, to the OP, it could simply be that at a younger age the horn is too heavy and it's not a "lady-like" instrument. There were several chicas playing trumpet when I was in school but they didn't start until middle school. Most switched from another instrument. How many flutes/clarinets can a band contain??!!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Wow, talk about over analyzing.

The answer is simple - girls are nicer than boys. Boys enjoy destroying the eardrums of woodwinds, girls do not....in general.

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Gadzooks, after reading this thread, the answer should be obvious.

Tom

9. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Ha! I knew I liked you vetpsychy!:-)

10. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    Think back to 4th or 5th grade when the instrument demos were going on....what instruments are 'female'...flute, clarinet, strings???
    This is the stereotype presented by both parents and instructors, consciously or sub-consciously.
    And at that age, no one wants to be the odd one out.