Why is the trumpet world so male dominated?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetplayer24, Jul 23, 2013.

1. RustoleusMaximus

RustoleusMaximus Pianissimo User

Feb 1, 2008
    TrumpetPlayer24 ... there are many more female trumpet players out there than one would think. I am doing my best to help in that connection through my new website - Female Trumpet Artist is dedicated to all female trumpet players everywhere ... please "like" it on Facebook as well. Ingrid Jensen is my personal favorite female trumpet player right now and has some awesome jazz chops. Cindy Bradley seems to be doing quite well in the smooth jazz genre.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When I started instrumental music in public schools, one could not purchase a new instrument because none were available during WWII, thus one had only a choice of those the high school band was not using and yes, I got stuck with a non-compensating French horn for my first year and I still have a Farkas mpc for it. A year later with newspaper money I bought a pre-owned Pitt-American (house brand of Volkweins) silver-plate trumpet believed now to have been a Czech stencil. This I played through my high school junior year when I bought a Martin (???). Both disappeared while I was in USAF overseas. I was able to rent a Getzen (???) the 3 years I participated in band and acquired an instrumental music minor to my B Ed.

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I don't know, but this could be a contributing factor to the fewer amount of female trumpet players right there........just saying.

4. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Must be the color-coded strings....:cool:

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    What about Harpo with the Marx brothers? Of course one isn't dominating.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG][/URL][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    See Adolph as changed to Arthur "Harpo" Marx of the Marx brothers ... really the concert harp was more of a prop for his comedy act than it was of his ability to play it ... he'd even purposely break the strings. His other props were his wig, "customized" trench coat and hat. But he wasn't mute, he could speak but his act was based on pantomime. I could listen to a good harpist for hours, and have. There was a blind girl that played a Scottish harp (clarsach) at a Scottish Highland Game I attended here on Grandfather Mountain NC years ago. I sat on the floor in the hallway listening to her play ... as did many others.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Motteatoj's view of things is spot on.

Women are now race car drivers, astronauts, trumpet players, tuba players. We've made great strides in accepting women in all kinds of occupations, yet we still have a ways to go.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  10. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011