Why is the trumpet world so male dominated?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetplayer24, Jul 23, 2013.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    actually Pam usually plays the Bass Drum or does the cymbals, while the guys typically do snare drums or wood block rattle stuff ---- ALBEIT in the 5 summer parades, the band director John almost always carries the big drum!!!! ((however in the parades the last 2 years that I have been in -- we usually have a high school girl fill in for the Trombone section on the last parade, where I am otherwise the only trombone player --- 2 separate parades, 2 different women trombone players each year!!!! -----oh 1 other thing!!! -- last year we had 4 out of 5 trombone players (old guys) get in car accidents, fall off ladders, or otherwise hurt themselves so as NOT to play in the last 2 concerts!!! ((of course in the summer we have deficiency's in the number of 3RD TRUMPETS available, so the preference of the band director is to KEEP ME IN THE 3RD TRUMPET SECTION, so I don't play trombone for concerts - so sad)))--- NOW we had 3 trombone players (ALL FEMALE) that filled in --- MIND you these 3 were NOT THE HIGH SCHOOL CHICS -- but somehow, 3 FEMALE trombone players "from other bands in the area -- all early 30's and older

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    We're talking TRUMPETS here, TRUMPETS, just getting you back on track. Nothing personal.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    technically speaking we are talking TRUMPETS, and WOMEN -- OR FEMALE TRUMPET PLAYERS!!

by the way I have Nicole Sasser's CD, and also a couple of FB, email exchanges with her --- she is quite talented as well as attractive

http://nicolesasser.com/

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Now that's better, now we're back on track. You had us visualizing bass drums, cymbals, trombones, what-have-you, and now I am happy to see you are back on the train track we started on.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    thank you BigDub -- now that you mentioned "we're back on track" -- that will Segway into another of my favorite FEMALE TRUMPET players -- who isn't worried about the male dominated trumpet arena --- -this Chic, is making her own path --- and YES, I have her new CD "ON TRACK, I think I am in LOVE with HER music!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

we also have had "electronic" communication between us!!! -- I love that I can contact my favorite female trumpet players and get a response!!!! ---------------now can I call "Doc Severinsen" up, or even Wilmer Wise?--- no, doubt they would take my phone call!!!! but Nicole Sasser, Cindy Bradley, and Rachel Therrien ----- they will reply to me!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  6. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    I think the rationale would be that trumpets are loud and very dominant instruments and these are considered mascilune traits. So it takes a special girl to go against social stigma and do something so "un-lady-like" as play the trumpet. It's also a very physical and passionate instrument to play. All I know is I've totally made guys go gaga for me just by playing my trumpet. It also threatens some male trumpet players for a female to be as good as they are, or better. Oh well.

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Nicole Sasser, Cindy Bradley, and Rachel Therrien ----- they will reply to me!!!!!(KT)
    Hey, KT, give me their numbers......I need to warn them, they seem innocent enough, and don't know what they are getting into!!!:lol:

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    ROFL ROFL ROFL --- they are all freely accessible people --- UNLIKE some other trumpet players (ie. Winton Marscellulose, Frank Vinzutti, and John Botti, and Aterial Sandoval) -- no those guys don't have the time of day for me!!!! (((NOW, I must agree that the male trumpet player has an EGO, which probably won't take NO for an answer -- so the men get gigs, then when they get gigs, the have to practice more - because with a GIG they now have to actually play, and once they do well in a few gigs, people call them -- and the man must continue to PROVE HIMSELF as a good trumpet player))) --