Why Is There No Discussion On Trumpet Andragogy?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Sep 4, 2015.

1. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    I am curious from a student perspective about older and not so older adult learners and education methods as the opposite of pedagogy is andragogy. I fall under what is considered as the early adulthood category and I know what it is like to hear no one is going to teach anyone my age how to learn to play an instrument. Due to ageism can it be said that adult learning is a non-issue to society overall or is it solely an issue only of importance to academics who are musicians?

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm still trying to figure out quite what it is that you've asked, and the point you're trying to make. Are you saying that adult learners are discriminated against because they aren't offered the same kind of learning opportunities when it comes to musical instruments that younger people are offered?

I think it's just a matter of what is considered "normal" in society. Typically, children are exposed to various sports, arts and instruments as a means to see what they'll gravitate to. Once they've decided, then that endeavor is cultivated, so by the time they are adult, they are no longer in the beginning stages - they've been working on their craft a number of years. Therefore, the assumption for early adult learners is that they have already decided upon the endeavors they have chosen to pursue, so no one bothers to expose them to instruments or arts. It's not really a matter of age discrimination - at least not on purpose.

tobylou8 likes this.
  3. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    What I'm getting at is that it seems as though adult musical education doesn't matter - ageism or not (and I don't skew toward the former just out of my personal experience) as the other aspect is locality (I'm in a place where it is easy to feel that teachers who solely teach adults are non existent). I do not expect the world to cater to any personal ideal regarding what I ask as I'm a realist and know that the world doesn't owe me anything.

4. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    10 minutes perusing the class offerings at both our local community college and the park and rec district shows many opportunities to take classroom and private instruction in music theory, involving drums, piano, guitar, bass, chorus. Sadly, no brass. I know several local music stores have rooms where private lessons take place.

I don't know what it would take to indicate that adult music education "matters". Is that code for public funding (beyond the taxpayer subsidies that flow to the community college system as well as the rec district) ?

I think adults are generally thought to be responsible for their own life path and educational opportunities.

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Usually, the beginner's methods for trumpet are very child-oriented. There is almost no method for adult beginners (you can't really classify Arban or Claude Gordon as beginners' methods, can you?). And that - considering the number of adult beginners out there - is really astonishing. And to choose the word "andragogy" shows learned insight - most people would have written "adult pedagogics" without regard to the fact that the "ped-" part of the word means "child-related". Therefore, a pediatric physician works to heal children, not adults.
    Perhaps a few TMers coud work together to compose a method for adult beginners and/or comebackers? I'm willing to participate and do all the editorial stuff - if someone then does the theory, I am content.

6. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Approaching 60, I find the greatest impediment to my continued music education is progressive lenses in my eyeglasses. Instinctively, my eyes want to follow the music in and out of the focal range of my lenses. All jokes aside, there are several sources of musical instruction for folk my age, including private lessons. All it takes is persistence in locating them and dedication to the task.

7. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    I would be inclined to disagree with the assumption that "no one is going to teach anyone my age (young adult) how to learn to play......." although I would not argue if that has been your experience. I would think that there would be musicians/music educators who would be more than happy to teach anyone regardless of age as long as they are receiving compensation.

If the question is 'why most beginner music education programs are geared towards children' (school band programs, basic instrument lessons) I would guess that there are fewer young adults seeking to learn new instruments (unless they are already in a music program), whereas many grade/middle schools offer instrument instruction through band programs to young students as a means of enriching their overall education experience, and have a continuous flow of new students coming up.

BTW andragogy is a neat word (I had to look it up!) which I've not previously heard. I would have had to say "adult education". :lol:

8. larry newman

larry newman Piano User

Dec 22, 2005
    North Tonawanda, NY, USA
    An adult is functionally their own parent. So, the adult has to march themselves to the music store, rent an instrument, and sign up for lessons. The developing musician has to be on the lookout for community and store-sponsored bands, the latter probably meeting on Saturday mornings.

If the other band members are younger, what matters it? Have fun.

9. larry newman

larry newman Piano User

Dec 22, 2005
    North Tonawanda, NY, USA
    The older musician, when getting an eye exam, has to alter the distance used for reading to the distance to a music stand. Glasses made this way work excellently.

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    A printer with ability to enlarge during copying helps with the eyesight stuff. For my eyes, those little marching sheet sizes are pretty rough to see, dots are too small:roll::lol::dontknow::oops: