Why Is There No Discussion On Trumpet Andragogy?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Sep 4, 2015.

1. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Perhaps it might be of benefit to members and persons of interest in trumpet if a section was added in the classifieds here in which members could advertise their services in music education/trumpet instruction. That way members of our "community" would be able to see if there are any lessons being offered locally............:think:

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I perceive that many adults are "wanna be" - rehabilitative - restorative - lost youth seekers - still laden with so many life priorities - with such a high rate of recidivism toward abandonment that a viable sustaining marketing towards adults just isn't justified.

Need I say, for most, it would require learning to read basic music that as a youth they ignored. Parents bought them an instrument in the 6th grade that was abandoned when they entered high school and now when they clear their parent's estate they come upon that instrument and think they can regain those youthful times and abilities. Well now it's wake-up and make-up time for an adult BEGINNING learner.

The beginning is where I would begin teaching/tutoring ... I only wish I could now require a pre-requisite of an eye and hearing exam given by licensed physicians ... something even public school systems neglect and parents ponder why their child is not an achiever.

3. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Yes. The first time I went to Rome, Italy, I was completely amazed that one of the city's very biggest public spaces is called "Piazza del Popolo" ("The People's Square"). Why shouldn't a big empty space belong to "The People", that is, everyone and anyone, all together? In the USA, this way of thinking about "The People" doesn't really exist.

In the US, the only people who talk about "The People" are politicians when they quote the Contstitution because they're asking for your vote. Or, Sly and the Family Stone.

4. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I am not sure this is real American thinking or a private abberation but sorry to say, I NEVER heard greater nonsense. To whom do YOU think a big emty space belong? I am really curious.

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Ironically, the origins of the name come not from "the people" but from the poplar trees (Latin: populus) that lined the Via Flaminia heading north out of the city. The current Italian literal translation is just a modern corruption.

As a public space it's primary function up until the 19th century was for executions. So it was more about controlling "the people" rather than providing any sense of public ownership.

6. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I thought about the executions but I already have a somehow cynical reputation here so I did shut up.
    Secondly the more important thing for me is the basic question, that somebody is able to think that it is in some way RIDICULOUS to presume that a big open space belongs to the people.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I saw my teacher yesterday and I mentioned this topic. He only had a few adults ask for lessons in all his time teaching. He said it never worked out. They were too self conscious and were highly embarrassed when they made mistakes. None of them would allow the laws of progression to take effect and they soon quit. Those that hung in for awhile could be a real pain in the a$$. Malcolm Knowles alludes to this FIRST in his theory of andragogy. It really breaks down simply to the law of supply and demand as to why there aren't more "andragogists"/"androgogians"/adult teachers. :roll:

8. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013

Franklin, we're in agreement. Why should it be a strange idea? But I assure you -- in the USA, it is a strange idea. This idea, "the people" -- it just doesn't really exist here.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Public square was just a place where everyone was allowed to gather versus private property. Thus it "belonged" to the people. "This idea, "the people" -- it just doesn't really exist here, that's only in the government! ;-)

10. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    Well I've read through the posts thus far and thought that I might add my thoughts - for what they are worth.

For the record, I started on the trumpet at age 42 having only every played the baritone for about 6 months at age 13.

I couldn't read music and had no idea where to start, but one morning, I realised that I had wanted to play the trumpet for a long time and decided to do something about it.

Now it is true to say that here in the UK the vast majority of music tuition is focused on children, but that is only to be expected. Here most full time music teachers (of any instrument) are set up to cater for their largest audience, namely children. But it did not take me long to Google some trumpet teachers, give them a call and see if I liked their reaction to an adult complete beginner. I found a guy who was about a 30 minute drive away from me, who wasn't in the slightest bit phased, who talked to me like an adult and asked me what I wanted out of playing and off we went.

Yes in the early days some of the tunes were child orientated, but I was quickly moved on to "real tunes" wherever possible and if he wanted me to play something basic, in a book with pictures in it, I wasn't going to be embarrassed - it is for a reason. I simply had to accept that if you want to learn something from the ground up, then you have to start at the absolute basics and my teacher saw that I was putting in the effort in between lessons and all went well for a couple of years, until work forced a move.

Again not the end of the World; I did a bit of research, made a few calls and found a full time military trumpet player who was more than up for having an adult student. We have a laugh, he teaches, I attempt to learn and all is well 3 and a bit years on.

I now play in a local (British) brass band, a local community orchestra and at church and I'm enjoying it. Yes work and life sometimes means that I can't spend every waking minute focusing on playing the trumpet, but it is like that with anything. I do notice that in the brass band that I play in, that most people have at least 20 years experience of playing and of those of my age, most have already been playing for 35 years or so. Do I wish that I had that experience, Yes I do, but at the moment I don't, so that is just the way it is.

Is it harder for adult learners to access trumpet tuition, well it is not served up to you as an option at work, but honestly, it is not that hard, you just need to get off your sofa and make a few calls: be brave and go and be prepared to be out of your comfort zone for a while. Is it worth it - even with my playing? - Absolutely.