Why Is There No Discussion On Trumpet Andragogy?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    9/09/2015 "I'm in a situation where due to medical issues trumpet is out of the question and I am leaning toward piano so I need advice on getting started and I need some suggestions on books as the short term goal is to self start without a teacher and the long term goal is to continue piano and hope to balance it with returning to trumpet in the distant future."

That's what she said. I too lately have begun to take piano lessons, only because I was able to get a fabulous deal on a top of the line keyboard. I'm not entirely naïve about the 88, but I've no expectations in my remaining lifetime to play as well as my Mother did. Too, I'm not about to give up my brass instruments, albeit I may soon cull duplicates.

2. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Wow, what an obsure topic Trumpet androgeny!!!!

I never thought of my horns as gendered, one way or the other,
    but I guess if I did, I'd say that my Benge DOES tend to display
    aspects of both genders. It can purr or YELL, depending on what I
    want it to do, but it doesn't wear any clothing so speak of, so there's
    no clue there!

bigtiny

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    BigTiny,

Has anyone ever said to you that you are a very strange fellow? Androgeny? SP?

4. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    Serously, this is an issue. Do I wear my bi-focals and try and alter how far away from the music I sit, or do I take them off and sit at that mid-point where I can still focus well. And if i was in a group where my seat has to be in one place, gosh, my optician would be making more and more money for every different band I was in.

5. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    I have a studio of about fifteen. One of my joys is a sweet fellow in his late 50's. He is working through Arban's. Though I sometimes feel guilty about putting him through the paces of ol' Jean-Baptiste, he assures me that it is exactly what is needed. He is also, always, the best prepared student that I have.

6. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Okay, I found your original article. I'm still not exactly sure what the question is here. I don't have a problem
    teaching adults to play, nor have I ever run into anybody that has. I will say that if you pick up the horn at the
    age of 50, you might be a little late to make it into the Boston Symphony, or Tower of Power, but hey, stranger
    things have happened.

bigtiny