Why is third part so important?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JZSYami, Nov 8, 2012.

1. JZSYami

JZSYami New Friend

Sep 18, 2012
    Northern California
    Ok, it's been over 10 years since my last semester of high school band. (Go Las Plumas/Oroville Alliance Marching Band!!) (that explains the weak musical ear) but another question why give this part to those who have little to no skill or are very shy?
    Last semester I played 2nd and actually played 1st for a couple of songs I was thrilled. But I'm extremely shy and this semester my section leader stuck me on third. I felt as if I failed the ensamble last semester. It might as well be considered low brass. *sigh*

Is playing 3rd a sign of failure? Personally I wish I could play 2nd or 1st. Those parts have excellent ranges. (3rd for the most part rarely goes above middle C) Also how can that part help to up your range?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    1st Trumpet = Lead trumpet.

Lead trumpet and SHY are two words that do not go together. I think you will learn more in 3rd seat musically.

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I'll try to keep this as friendly as possible. But that is NOT the case. I would never put weak players on third part, because, quite frankly, I wouldn't have weak players in my section. In the instance I did, I would spread them out over third and second and mingle in the quality players. Why? Because more than likely the weaker players have an under developed upper register, therefore to make the best of a bad situation, I would put them where they are most comfortable.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  4. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    You don't get to play first or second parts to build your high range -- you earn the chance to play those parts by developing the range needed at home.

Somebody has to play the third part, and right now that's apparently you. If you want to move up in the section, demonstrate that you're wasted on third parts. You do that by practicing your music until you're playing your part better than people playing first or second are playing their parts. Don't blast away, trying to demonstrate how well you're playing your part -- a huge part of playing musically is playing at an appropriate dynamic. Just practice your music at home until you can play it, note perfect, in rehearsal and at every concert. The players around you will notice.

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Yeah, what he said. I don't play third because I suck, I play third because I don't.

Tom

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Years ago I played repiano[SUP]1[/SUP] cornet with an English brass band. One evening I played in 3rd since we were down a man and that just happened to be the day Derek Broadbent[SUP]2[/SUP] (one of our patrons) was in town. He took over conducting during practice, and at the end of the night gave us a pep talk, and singled me out in 3rd to encourage me to stick with it so that one day I might move to 2nd. I think 3rd is very important and am not knocking it at all, but I did chuckle a bit to myself after Mr. Broadbent finished talking to me.

--bumblebee

[SUP]1[/SUP] http://www.austinbrassband.com/britishbrass.html - "One B flat Repiano Cornet is the "roving middle linebacker" of the section."

[SUP]2[/SUP] http://www.nationalbrassbandchampionships.com/index.php?id=8&prof_networkID=80

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  7. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Well you've really opened up a can of worms here my friend. All I can say is that I enjoy playing 3rd. My community band is very good about spreading out the parts so that everyone gets a chance to play everything if they want to. So on some pieces I play 1st, some 2nd, some 3rd. Some scores have 3 cornets and 2 trumpets, all with different parts and solos. Playing third has it's own challenges, playing the harmony at the right level to flesh out the chords, in the right dynamics and beautifully in tune with the 1st and seconds is no small feat. Also 3rd parts are frequently written lower, which means you really have to dig out those notes to be heard because they tend to not project as much, also the sound can become "barky", so it's always a challenge to try and get the best sound down there as possible. I think I enjoy playing second the best out of all of them honestly. But I do enjoy the unique set of skills playing third trumpet requires. My aim is to strive to bring out the music as it was intended. Playing third one might not be in the spotlight as much, but I will contest that anyone who plays third can have just as much fun and make just as much music. Also since you are playing the harmony line most of the time, practicing the 3rd parts without anyone to blend with can be very hard to hear the intervals. I'm by no means a great player yet, but this is what I think. And whether it's 1st 2nd or 3rd or fourth or fifth, I'm going to play it the best I can. Because it wouldn't be there if it weren't "important."

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  8. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Often moving up in parts results as much in your attitude towards style and dynamics as well as range. Though range is obviously a necessity, as well as tone and other aspects of playing the horn, a true lead player or principal, first chair,whatever you call it, has the style down pat and makes great music

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    That is great, just for the non Brass Banders on here the Rep cornet is ofen thought of as a fill in cornet used as a link between the Solo cornets and the rest of the back row. It is also often said truthfully that the Rep cornet player is the best or second best player in the band. The parts can be a tricky blend of solo and second cornet parts and all points in between, they sometimes have to play counter moelodies all on there own. I've only played rep a few times but I really enjoyed the challenge. Even the time I was asked to sight read a rep part in the middle of a gig. All that said you have to learn to revel in harmony, not melody, I enjoy playing in small groups simply to find the harmony balance, for me that is where the fun is.

bumblebee likes this.
  10. JZSYami

JZSYami New Friend

Sep 18, 2012
    Northern California
    ok, the reason I really hate 3rd part is being stuck on it for 8 solid semesters of high school. I'd practice and practice, but nothing changed I stayed last chair every year. It was really discouraging. This semester I was handed that part and those emotions came flooding back.