Why is third part so important?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JZSYami, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm not choosey, I'll play any part, and if another can't or won't, I hope they remember where the door they came in is and don't slam it as they leave.

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'm like you Ed no matter how much I like being on the front row I wil play what I am asked and enjoy it. Thus not having to bother about the door hitting me in the back

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    3rd trumpet in my concert band is important -- BECAUSE KINGTRUMPET plays the part --- and besides we help the French Horns as our part is often written to double with the french horns or echo them --- and who hears the French horns????

besides ---after almost a year --- no one in the band has asked me to play a different part, as a matter of fact I have never been asked to play anything ---- I don't think my band even knows if I can play ---------------

SO I'M THE BEST 3RD TRUMPET PLAYER THERE IS -----ie. the band has NO complaints!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. gelatinshoehorn

gelatinshoehorn New Friend

Aug 28, 2010
    It seems to me the real issue for the OP is that they're not playing the part they want to play. For whatever it's worth, looking back I never got anywhere with excuses like "it's the most musical part in the section". Even if it's true in the abstract, it's not what they want to play. The only thing that has ever gotten me anywhere at all is to assume the problem is with me. That is the only thing I can do anything about !

5. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    excuse me....I represent that remark.:-P

6. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    Second and third parts are important. Freddy is section leader of the trumpets and has been considering putting strong players at first chair second and first chair third those parts have to be covered. At least in the literature we are playing, all the parts are important

7. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    You are correct, entrancing1. All parts ARE important, or they wouldn't have been written in the first place..

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Yes Entrancing that is almost always right. There are times when arrangers seem to give second and third parts little attention so they can feel like an after thought. I don't think this is acceptable and when I arrange I try to give counter melodies out round the band. Even if that means a bit of doubling. Course in Brass Banding I don't have to worry about those funny twisted tenor horns from continental Europe

9. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Don't worry, E1, French Horns are always heard. With a bell that size......

It was my first brass instrument

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    More than once, I've been offered a permanent spot in a band when I've gone in as a sub on 3rd part and nailed it. Looks from the "upper part" players and comments like "Wow! I've never heard that part before." Third (and second) parts are much more important when played well, musically, and as a compliment to the melody. When third parts are given exclusively to the timid, inexperienced players, they become largely irrelevant to the music. Our church orchestra, which is very good and usually has 6-8 trumpets in the section, has a strong player on first, one on second, and one on third. The guy playing third is an ex-symphony player and also plays Eb cornet in our brass band, so he's no slouch. He chooses to play third for the good of the orchestra as well as for a change of pace.