Why is third part so important?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JZSYami, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO, generally, parts other than lead, actually require less lip-time but are highly dependent on timing. Those without the skill to count the measures and rests can surely mess up a song ... and I've been known to do that too on occasion.

I'm really in favor of shuffling the section parts for a new song, turning them upside down, and have the players draw from the top of the stack in sequence as they arrive for practice/rehearsal. That way all the players get a "chance".

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Irrespective of the burden placed on the chops, whatever part is in front of me should be played accurately, musically, and at an appropriate volume. The goal is always to create music as part of a team effort. Sometimes I play first, sometimes, 2nd, etc. I want to make sure that everyone has a good time, as long as the group doesn't suffer.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    We all are prone to mistakes ... but hopefully not very often. That's what practice and rehearsals are the erasers of. If one doesn't enjoy playing ... don't do it!

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Dude, I solved the whole problem with the French horns being heard --BUT NOBODY LIKES MY IDEAS!!! -- look, in every concert band there is -- most of the instruments noise goes out to the audience --- HEY, even those tuba and baritone cats, have a bell that points up ----BUT THOSE FRENCH HORNS -- their bells always point back at the band (precisely back at us 3rd trumpets)

if every band just had the French horn players turn around so they faced us 3rd trumpets --- then their bells would be projected toward the audience, and everyone might hear them ------ but alas, poor Rorick, ........... nobody likes that idea ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. JZSYami

JZSYami New Friend

Sep 18, 2012
    Northern California
    LOL

but then they couldn't see the movement of the stick and would get lost, UNLESS there were VIEWSCREENS that were focused on the conductor behind the band. ROFL

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    a simple mirror might help -- although, as I am sure ED LEE will ponder --- that if one used a mirror to watch the conductor --- the French Horn players would actually count backwards!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL ----

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    No, I wouldn't, I'd just ponder if they had music that was printed backwards. Too, that's why I also play a marching mellophone in F. I don't have a problem counting ... I use a calculator.

Really, what I do is silently sing or hum that part of the song that IS NOT what I am supposed to play. Still, I don't favor lengthy preludes, and it gets tricky in songs where more and more instruments are added as it proceeds. I can't simultaneously silently sing or hum their parts too.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I love playing behind the horns - their music makes my knees all trembly.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    if you hum the song -- this must mean that you know all the parts ------ all I can do is just play what's on my stand (ALTHOUGH, now that I think about it, I do prefer the French Horns facing the audience -- that way, I can see their music, and quite often when we echo them, they come in first, so I don't have to count the rests, I just look over their shoulder and find out where they are) ---------it's so simple that probably even a woodwind player could do it -- you know the sax players could check out the clarinets in front of them. ALTHOUGH, I am not sure what the clarinets in the front row do!!!!) ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe they shoot spit wads through their instruments at the conductor. What else could all that squeeking be about?