Why Kanstul

Discussion in 'Horns' started by bigaggietrumpet, Jan 23, 2004.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, here is the million dollar question;

Currently, I am looking for a new classical horn. Unfortunately, I haven't really had a lot of access to anything but Yamaha, Bach, and Getzen throughout most of my life, so right now I am having to catch up with the curve. Currently, I am looking at a Schilke. But, because I want to check every possible option, I'm going to go into every forum on here with this question (modified, of course). I would like someone to give me every pro and every con of a Kanstul. If it helps any, I'm looking for a full warm tone, but is capable of being pushed at the upper dynamics (I think that's what I meant to say :roll: ). So just help me however you can.

2. tryingtocomeback

tryingtocomeback New Friend

Oct 31, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    "...I'm looking for a full warm tone, but is capable of being pushed at the upper dynamics ..."

Kanstul ZTK1504

'nuf said.

(How bout it jhatpro)

Keep it swinging,
    Matt

3. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi,

For classical gotta agree with Matt. ZKT 1503 and ZKT 1504 are the Bachish choices in the Kanstul signature stable.

Pros: Well made, consistent from horn to horn, good valves, good intonation, certain amount of customisation for a scale producer, great value for money.

Cons: Can be hard to get hold of, limited to 460 (ML) bore, can't think of anything else!!

Regards

Trevor

4. Kanstulbrass

Kanstulbrass Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    All Pro, no Conn... 8)

Well our "classical" horns might be the ZKT 1500 (dark sound with heavy copper bell), 1500A (dark with bronze bell), 1500B (37/25 setup), 1503 (72/25-O setup), and 1504 (72/43 setup).

It's best to play some of our horns and see what works best for you. I found that the Chicago 1001 (MLP) is the best for me. Dark when I want it to be, and sizzling upper register. It also has some of the best intonation of most any trumpet I've played...ever!

Our horns are out there, and not difficult to get a hold of...we now have several prominent dealers and they are just a phone call or mouseclick away. They stock our horns and many of them offer "trial" periods (subject to dealer of course)

If you are in the market for a new horn, or just want to "see what's out there" you should make the effort to track down our instruments. You won't regret it. I have yet to see anyone walk out of a dealer or our showroom with a negative review!

Ciao!

5. Lo

Lo New Friend

Nov 25, 2003
    Toronto,Ontario
    I recently purchased a Kanstul and I love my horn!

Pros
    -Price is very affordable
    -service is amazing (I got mine from Jack)
    -customization
    -excellent craftsmanship

That's all I have to say!

6. Bebop2

Bebop2 New Friend

Jan 9, 2004
    I just played all of the Kanstul's at the IAJE and I liked them all. Well, except for the 1504 which felt a little big for me. I really liked the Bergeron model.
    Jim

7. EndQuest

EndQuest New Friend

Jan 21, 2004
    http://www.pickmusic.net/trumpets.htm

I'm getting one from Priscilla at the link above. She sent me a WB/ZKT 1600, 1001 and 1070 to try out. Great to work with. Super e-mails and phone calls. A pleasure to work with.

8. 2LIP

2LIP New Friend

Nov 28, 2003
    Kanstul

I am the proud owner of a Kanstul ZKT1600. Not the most classical sounding, but the ZKT1500 is probably closer to what you are looking for. I worked with Ceth at Tulsa Band. Everytime that I call, he has the best deals on the net. Use Charles as your horn consultant, and call Ceth when you are ready to buy.

Good luck

The LIP

9. Liberty Lips

Liberty Lips Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2003
    Actually, the 1500's can be special ordered in a .470 bore, but there are no refunds if you do that.

My 1500A is an excellent horn that would do very well in legit situations.

10. Japle

Japle Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2003
    Cape Canaveral
    I have four Kanstuls and have played several more. They have the best, most consistant quality control in the business and terrific customer service.

I have a 1500S (that's a 1500 - copper bell, .460 bore) in silver on eBay right now. It was plated at the factory and throughly "tweaked". It's a great horn, but I have more pro horns in the house than I can afford.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3704495549&category=16214