Why Lip Size?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Jan 12, 2011.

1. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    When and why did it come around that, generally, thicker lipped people are better at low brass and thin lipped people are better at higher brass?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    "Can-a-worms" kind of question but here goes. I've talked to many directors and they are always hurting for lower brass, and "everyone" wants to play trumpet. It may have evolved as a reason to get a kid to switch to lower brass. It is also more difficult, though not impossible, for large lips to learn on a tiny mpc such as the ubiquitous Bach 7C. Since mpc technology and general knowledge have increased regarding lip size/mpc configurations, hopefully this will one day be a non issue and viewed the same as doctors using leaches to "cure" people of blood disorders. Read this for more of this type of info from a real expert.

New Page 1

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

3. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    We have had this talk before and it never turns out good

4. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    amen

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    It's nonsense. Look at John Faddis. On the other hand Raphael Mendez was rather thin lipped and did not frequent the extreme high register much. Each player becomes good at what they are attracted to and what they practice most.

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    This is a FOOLISH thread.

I would advise everyone to ignore it.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hey, at least no ones calling others names yet!:lol: Dlewis and the rest are correct, it never ends up good.:shock:

8. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    I'm not trying to start a war here or anything, I'm just wondering why this general thought process came up when there are people with thick lips that can play well and plenty high.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Read my first post. Many directors I've talked to give the same basic story "off the record".

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I don't think he was saying that the statement - thin lips = high brass, thick lips = low brass - was true. I think he was asking the question about why there seems to be that incorrect yet persistent belief. I would liken it to the idea that the Bach Stradivarius is the "best" trumpet and the one that band directors tend to steer their aspiring players toward.

Somewhere along the way the idea came to be that a thicker lipped person would be better suited to low brass than trumpet, and it has to have a source somewhere, even though anyone who really knows anything knows it to be incorrect.