Why Mount Vernon Bach?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by F.E.Olds, May 25, 2013.

1. F.E.Olds

F.E.Olds Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2010
    Hello-

I was wondering what your opinion is on Mount Vernon Bach trumpets and why they are considered rather desireable. Is it the sound, or the feel, or the craftsmanship?

Thanks

Patrick

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The short answer:- Yes.

The longer answer:- They were the last horns that were made while Vincent owned the company before it was sold it to Selmer. I have a 1964 Mt Vernon, a great horn, I am not sure wether it was made at Mt Vernon or by Selmer with Mt Vernon parts, made about the time of the chandeover.

Regards, Stuart.

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I have a 65- made just after the move. Best playing horn on my list.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Bob Pucci (tuba player and collector) wrote an interesting blurb concerning early Bach trumpet quality in the 1940's. Take it with a grain of salt. IMO, anytime a horn, any horn is given Holy Grail affection you're not getting the full story. Some would consider his remarks sacrilegious. Some of it is very interesting, especially the 3rd slide dump vs. valve comment.

BachLoyalist.com - Stories / Myths

BTW, I own a '72 Strad, and it's a very good horn.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I owned a '55 Mt. Vernon for about 15 years, a ML 43. It was a nice horn, but I also owned a '76 Elkhart ML 43 at the same time, and I could tell little difference in them. When I needed to sell one to buy a better cornet for brass band, I sold the Mt. Vernon, mainly because it would bring more money. In my opinion, the Elkhart is every bit as good as the Mt. Vernon was.

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Interesting article, toby!
    Jim

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Roby-Yes, very interesting articles. Thanks for sharing. I've never played a Mt Vernon so can't say anything except I think the early Elkharts are some of the best horns available. Also, seems like lacquer was more popular back then.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I have an Elkhart D trumpet. The G in the staff is flat. I mentioned that in the Bach forum; my post was deleted. Here at TM we seldom delete posts unless someone is selling Chinese bass clarinets or Nokia phones, in which case we ban the "members." In the meantime, after years of collecting dust, I found a mouthpiece that works on it, but hey, on a good horn almost all mainstream mouthpieces should work. It does sound nice, though.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Pretty similar experience ... had a 1960 Mt Vernon ... 1973 Bach 43* ... and now a 1978 37 with a Bob Malone lead pipe ... all nice horns and all played pretty much the same

10. F.E.Olds

F.E.Olds Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2010
    Some interesting posts. I wonder what people would say if I asked about their thoughts on Mt. Vernon vs. brand new Bach horns