Why so few Schilkes on the secondary market?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MUSICandCHARACTER, Sep 23, 2004.

1. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I search through eBay almost everyday. I post links to horns on my website that meet a certain criteria.

What strikes me is the absence of Schilke trumpets sold on the used market. You find Monettes for sale more often than a Schilke it seems. I understand not finding many ZeuS or Wild Thing horns. Not enough sold yet to make a big secondary market. But Schilke has been around for awhile.

It seems every time I come across "Schilke" in the header, it is for a mouthpiece.

Unscientific conclusion ... Schilke owners tend to keep their horns. I would also then venture to say that a used Schilke would bring top dollar. Is this a fair conclusion? Has anyone sold or bought a used Schilke? If so, did it bring it decent money?

Jim

2. B_Starry

B_Starry New Friend

Mar 22, 2004
    Virginia
    The Schilke Loyalist tracks eBay ads and sales on used Schilkes. I downloaded the data from Nov-03 through yesterday, and there were well over 10 actual sales per month. I was surprised by the relative prevalence of B5 models in that sample. (I had not expected that to be the largest volume re-sale model.) The other large seller was their picc, at very high prices! Only one straight B6 in that entire timeframe (that's the model I own!) The average price was relatively high too, in comparison with Bachs and Yamahas (no surprise there.) I tend to agree with your premise that the owners like to hang on to their horns. - Brian

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There might be around 10 ebay sales a month for Schilke trumpets, but compare that number to ebay sales for used Bach Strads.

I think that there are a couple of reasons for the absence of Schilkes on ebay compared to other horns.

1.) There are fewer of them because they are hand crafted, not mass produced.
    2.) They are good horns that play really well and because of that, the owners aren't looking to sell them for something else - they already have THE horn they want to play.

I think that Schilkes DO bring top dollar. It's rare to see a Schilke from any year in virtually any condition (as long as it's still playable) that goes for less than $1000, unless it's an M-II. Again, we are talking semi-custom, hand-made horns where virtually every one of them is a great horn. You pretty much know before you ever lay your hands on a Schilke that's it is going to play well.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    "You pretty much know before you ever lay your hands on a Schilke that's it is going to play well."

AMEN!

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Yeah,
    I think the low volume of resale Shilkes is because they truly are great horns. Every Shilke I've played has been wonderful, even the "second hand" ones. They just ain't for me.

Bear

6. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    most people I have run into seemed to have either bought them new or bought them used from someone they know or a friend of a friend kind of a deal. I would think more are sold offline than online.

-marc

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Which would also indicate that there is a lineup to buy them! That, of course, means that they will hold their value better than some other makes.

But let's do some quick math. If a new Strad is, say $1,400 and a great condition, used one goes for $1,000 then you are looking at about 70%.

A new Schilke runs around $1,800 (more or less for a stock Bb) and a great used one at $1,300? Then that is also about 70%.

So I think the perception is that because a used Schilke tends to sell for more than a used Strad it is holding its value better. In reality, a NEW Schilke also sells for more than a new Strad.

(Which makes a used Schilke a GREAT bargain, IMHO)

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    i think used strads hold that 70% if resold maybe with in 5 years, but after that i have seen them go for ALOT less, IE 500 to 600.

why do schilke piccs seem to come up for sale more often than the Bflats?

9. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Historically I think they sold more than most other manufactures on small horns. Schilke was the one that did all the leadpipe nodal theory work to clean up the intoation on them. I don't know how their volume of small horns stacks up these days with all the yamaha/kanstul etc.. variations of the P5-4 design on the market.

-marc