Why so few trumpet related posts?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rjzeller, May 4, 2005.

1. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    First of all, I don't really believe this. There is plenty of very good trumpet-related discussion. But this board does tend into other directions more than some other sites out there. So....why?

Well...

It occurs to me that many of the Manny911 threads end up fading very quickly, and that the other forums don't get huge amounts of traffic, either.

I think there's basically two reasons: 1) this forum has fewer users, so there's less chance of a thread continuing forever. 2) Maybe ML's answers are just ...right.

The second is the reason I'm posting here. What do you think, folks? My experience with advice from ML has paid unbelievable dividends. As a friend of mine stated, he has an excellent understanding of the physical requirements of playing, and a near perfect technical understanding. Perhaps the best mark on his behalf is that he's NOT a gear-junkie. He knows what works, period.

Likewise, others who post advice here seem to be very careful to give well-thought and "good" advice. The problem with some other sites is everyone has an opinion and you're left feeling dazed and confused. Here it's different. In fact, probably the worst offender in terms of posting questionable advice has been me, and I like to think even I give it some serious thought before commenting!!

So what I'm after is, what does everyone else think? I don't mean for this to become a "let's heap praise on Manny and kiss his butt" festival...but if he deserves the praise, then by all means....after all, how many PROVEN professionals take the time to participate like this on such a frequent basis?

Or ARE there cases where advice (not jsut from ML but from anyone) did NOT work out?

My conjecture, I guess, is that the advice over here on TM is simply more consistent and therefor easier to disseminate and understand. I think ML plays a large role in that. This is NOT to say that there arent' great things being said over on TH or other places...just that it seems when someone comments on a question regarding the art of trumpet playing, I can usually count on some pretty sound advice here with little confusion.

anyway...just a thought....

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I too think that Manny's advice is simply top notch - he commented to me about how I held my arms from the pic I displayed as my avatar and suggested a couple of things. I took his suggestions seriously and it helped. It was just that simple. Manny's advice is pretty hard to dispute - it is very logical and easy to understand, and the proof is in the pudding - he wouldn't be sitting in the chair that he is if the stuff didn't work.

I also think that the reason the threads in the "Manny 911" forum fade as quickly as they do is that once Manny has responded, there isn't much left to say. A little clarification might be in order from time to time, but there really is nothing there to dispute.

We also have what appears to be a much older crowd here so it is rare that you see a case of the blind leading the blind, whereas I do see that on other trumpet sites, for what that's worth.

3. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    A couple of things.

I think being smaller it's simply more social. Maybe if it becomes bigger it would bring out 'the dark side', I hope not.

The quality of advice is special. Manny of course who does have the uncanny ability of being able to make the complex sound simple which to me is the true sign of a professional. Wilmer always adds a very pertinent sentence or two...you can't buy that sort of advice. I've noticed PH sticking his handsome dial in occasionally. Mike Supple, the mystery member last week (Don Giovanni-I can have a guess). There is a wealth of experience there across all sorts of genres.

On top of it all we also have a cracking group of youngins and I think that's the real secret. Seriously, they are generally respectful and we don't seem to get the 'I've been playing for 2 weeks and I've played a double C' nonsense. They are serious about playing, join into the social threads as equals and are a credit.

The threads are shorter because the egos are controlled and it's been said.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,

Trevor

Just my thoughts.

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I know Manny's advice has been a TREMENDOUS help to me. Even though I am in a bit of a playing slump right now (due to not enough time on the horn) I feel my level of musicanship far exceeds what it was 4 months ago whe I just joined the forum. And to get back to where I was a couple weeks ago (which will happen as soon as solo festival season and concertizing are done) will be a far more efficient journey because I can easily remember many of the things he has suggested.

In fact, alot of the things Manny has written either to me or others have found their way into my lessons with students.

People are more considerate here because we are reflecting Manny's approach and attitude. You can't help it...it simply rubs off. When someone leads by example, there is no need for verbal reminding.

You can get a real sense of a studio teacher's abilities by looking at the way the students interact with one another. This is not all that much different.

Gotta go...I have other thoughts as well.

5. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    I definately agree thus far with the above posts. What makes Trumpetmaster appeal to me is the small town atmosphere; everybody knows eachother. I've participated in progressively larger forums on differing topics, and in these larger forums the "celebrities" are merely the best talkers, and it's more and more the case as the forums get larger. In smaller forums like this, it isn't wise to try to out-talk others in an attempt to gain fame, as everybody knows everyone else here. It might not seem like there's many trumpet posts here, but everything is direct and to the point without the armchair experts spouting all the fancy words they want; they'll quickly be uncovered in a place like this.

Long story short, trumpetmaster has a unique atmosphere to it which I feel benefits the trumpeter more, young or old. I'm not here to stake my spot as king; I'm here to learn from others no matter what their skill level is, as we can all learn from eachother.

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Is Don Giovanni from the left coast :?:
    Wilmer

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Nah, guys, youse got it all wrong.

He's an old buddy and you know him, Wilmer. Think back to midyear of 1981. We three and two other guys met in the mid west for two days.

I will say no more...

ML

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Many of the people here have been on the forums for several years. After a while you pretty much have seen it all. So, if you are mature and have seen it all you don't feel the need to put your 2 cents into every thread.

I think also that Manny is a big influence as you said. Also, I think most people here are mature enough that they don't think it is productive to constantly add to or correct someone who posts answers to questions that are 95% correct. To me, if someone answers a question in a couple sentences and supplies 90+ % of all that could be said about it, like Manny often does, then why clutter up the thread with extraneous text?
    [I just noticed how low my posts per day number is. I guess I'm walking the walk. :)]

Another factor is the cage. Its quite effective for shutting down trolls.

Greg

9. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    i have been here for only a few short months, and every piece of advice received from manny has helped me tremendously

10. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003

I agree!

Most people here seem to read what is posted and only post when they have something to add, and not post an answer to a question that total ignores the post before theirs.

I also want to add that it seems like most of the people here are on the same page about how and why to play the trumpet so less needs to be said.