Why so many differently pitched Trumpets?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet guy, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Phil Kersh

Phil Kersh Pianissimo User

Feb 28, 2008
    Provo, Utah
    I enjoy the fact that I can play in multiple different scenarios and have different horns to create a unique and beautiful sound. Plus, it certainly doesn't hurt to have easier fingerings on some licks!

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    That would generally be your "tree iron" right? ;-)

3. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    I know multiple keyed trumpets allow me to achieve the right sound for a given piece. If you play the Hydan, Hummel or Neruda concerto on Bb, to me, it sounds too dark and like a Bb trumpet. Eb trumpets sound a characteristic way that is reminiscent of the trumpets found way back in the day (the WAY WAY back). Also trills are nicer to execute because you don't want a trill to be open to 2,3. It's due-able, but help a trumpet player out and try an Eb.

Trumpet choir music also calls for a vast amount of trumpets in different keys. Take a look at the Army Herald trumpets. They all look the same right? WRONG. hehe... Two are pitched in G, 4 in Bb, and the rest I forget. (I'll get back to you on that one).

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Though I agree with the rest of your post, modern E flat trumpets have a very different sound than the E flat keyed trumpet, which the Haydn and Hummel (BTW E trumpet, not E flat)concertos were written for. Check The Keyed Trumpet - Background Research . As a matter of fact, modern B flat trumpet sound is probably closer to the keyed trumpet than the modern piston E flat trumpet. It is totally a different story that it is easier to play it on and it has been popular to use for that kind of music.

Check Concertos for Keyed Trumpet: Franz Joseph Haydn, Johann Nepomuk Hummel, Michele Puccini, Martin Haselböck, Wiener Akademie Orchester, Christian Gurtner, Hector McDonald, Reinhold Friedrich: Amazon.co.uk: Music

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Trumpet guy,
    you are right. Other sized trumpets are just for the WIMPS that don't have the chops and security to play the parts on a REAL trumpet.

or

Trumpet guy,
    not all trumpet music was written to be played with a monster sound that covers up the rest of the musicians

or

Trumpet guy,
    when you try to smuggle 2 similar horns across borders, you have a hard time explaining. Different sized horns give you less trouble with customs

or

Trumpet guy
    I don't know why either, but I seem to get more smiles when I play baroque music with my higher pitched trumpets.

The truth probably includes all of the above...........................