Why so many horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I'm just curious, the folks here who list out like 5 or 10 trumpets in their signature...what do you actually DO with all those? I understand you can get slightly different sound qualities out of different mpc/horn combinations, but really how many variations are there that are really usable. Dark vs Bright maybe? Do you guys actually use the horns, just collect them and use one or two as your favs? And btw, I'm not making a judgment here, "merely" collecting horns is totally legit in my book.

2. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    The answer, at least for me, is simple: "Because they are there." ROFL

On a serious note, for me it's a combination of numerous factors: curiosity in how a horn will play, collecting, dark/bright, an inexpensive buy, etc. No matter which way you slice it, it all boils down to a simple concept:

N + 1

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    In many cases, you will notice that it's not all Bb horns; there are different tunings; then there's rotary v piston; and then, of course, cornets and flugels as well. To be a versatile all round trumpet player, you will feel the need to have a collection of horns to do every piece of music you're playing the justice it deserves.

4. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    The horns listed in my signature are the horns I play. I have other horns (for a variety of reasons, but I'm not a collector). The 7 on my signature are the ones actually in my practice room--and usually out of their cases. I must admit that my bass trumpet is a guilty pleasure, but I even managed to perform with it a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Interesting question, and as I think about it, there are various reasons for owning what I have.
    I'll go down the list in my signature...

Bach ML 43 Bb Trumpet - my go-to trumpet for most trumpet stuff.
    Bach L 184G Bb Short Cornet - my go-to cornet for most cornet stuff.
    Bach ML 239 C Trumpet - if you play a variety of music, a good C trumpet is necessary.
    Besson Chicago Bore Bb Cornet - it's a cool old antique that plays nicely, but I mainly keep it as a collectible.
    Conn 5A Bb Short Cornet - a powerful cornet that I use on occasion, mainly when there's a lot of upper register playing required.
    Conn 6B Bb Trumpet - I bought this one because it's just like my first trumpet, but it plays great, and I use it occasionally.
    Conn 22B Bb/A Trumpet - I bought this one because it was such a good deal, mainly as a collectible, but it plays with a great vintage sound.
    Conn 76A Bb Short Cornet - I bought this one because I like the wrap. It's a pretty good cornet, but I don't play it much since I own better.
    Kanstul Bb Field Trumpet - I needed a good field trumpet (bugle) for Taps and other ceremonies.
    Lehnert SARV Bb Cornet - I play this one in a Civil War band, and it's close to museum quality, so it's also a collectible.
    Olds A11E Eb/D Trumpet - I keep this one for the rare occasion that I need an Eb or D trumpet. Not the greatest trumpet, but it was cheap.
    Olds L12 Bb Flugelhorn - like the C trumpet, if you play a variety of music, you need a good flugelhorn.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  6. chaplainentrekin

chaplainentrekin New Friend

Feb 23, 2010
    Ft. Rucker, AL
    My list, which is only 4, tells the story of what I have owned and where they have gone. But also, should anyone see my list and want to ask a question about one of them (e.g. Is your Holton Galaxy bright or dark? How does your Martin Chieftain play, etc.), they can ask me.

7. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    I'm one of the serious offenders here, with around 150 brass instruments. OK, I'm a collector. I also collect antique hand woodworking tools and fishing tackle. Mostly, it's driven by curiosity and a desire to be able to examine a specific model in detail. Like the other collections, it's gotten out of hand. I can't hide trumpets under the piano; it's still covering up several boxes of planes. But once my curiosity has been satisfied, most of my horns are eligible for disposal. One of these days, I'll get around to photographing and re-testing everything, then start trying to sell off things which no longer interest me. In my case, I'll keep mostly Olds, Calicchio, (French) Selmer, Courtois, Aubertin, Marcinkiewicz, Reynolds, and Wild Things. I'll sell all the Buescher, Conn, Couesnon, obscure British brands, Asian lines, and stencils, then re-analyze the mess. Laziness is what guarantees an ample collection, but you'll see my stuff in the marketplace eventually. In part, I've been holding off on selling efforts because of depressed market conditions - I don't insist on making much, if any, profit on a horn, but I do so hate to lose money on any of them.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  8. Bauerbear

Bauerbear Mezzo Piano User

Jul 11, 2012
    Winter Park, FL
    I like this response.

I have a bunch of horns. I may be compensating for having to go through junior high, high school and college with a Blessing Scholastic student horn.
    I may just like different horns. Who knows?

I will say that I play every horn on my list with exception of the Yamaha cornet on a regular basis. Even my 11a I play in orchestra from time to time. I'm currently restoring the newly aquired 58b, so there might be some pictures of that later.

Let's just say I don't just hang anything on the wall and look at it...they're all played.

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    For 20 years I had 2 horns, Selmer B700 and Radial C, did all I needed, then I discovered this site, now I have 32, some I play, some are collectable rare or unusual, some in pieces for modification and experimation or awaiting restoration.

Regards, Stuart.

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I fully agree with Stuart, it's not me, it's TM's fault.

Now I just have to convince the missus.

I sort of agree with most here, but I do try to rotate most of mine for playing.
    I still have only a couple of go to horns for serious gigs.

But Bb. C. D/Eb, Picc, cornet, Flugel, pocket, Bass Trumpet, Trom, Baritone horn, Euph. marching brass, French horn all start to add up. It is hard to not leave a family member out. I still argue with Trom players that a Trom is just a slide Bass Trumpet.