Why so many horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Don't have a lot listed, two are just because experiments although I have used them some. My Conn cornet and the Bach LTD are my go to's at the moment:oops::cool:

2. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    N +1 + 1 - 1 + 2 +1 + 1..........etc

Seriously,

I collect and play, and I collect for my son, so that in 30 or 40 years, he can have the horns. I picked up some players recently as I am becoming more serious about my playing, but still..... collecting for my son.

3. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    My trumpets vary from dark verses bright, focused verses spread, big and open with loose slotting verses tighter with more accurate slotting. Tone requirements are different for orchestral, Jazz, big band and rock gigs. That said at the moment I have a couple that I actually play all the time and the others are either backup horns or just a part of my collection (for now)

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    My horns talk to me.. eveytime I look and one thinking I should sell it they respond "don't even think about it" ... pretty simple if you ask me.

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    :-o

Then again, maybe you have something I want. :-)

Tom

6. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Probably not - I didn't end up with a lot of Bueschers, just as I didn't end up with very many Conns. Nothing wrong with either, they're just not Olds, and that's my primary interest. But we can exchange PM's if you're looking for anything like the fairly common models I have: a 400 trumpet from 1938 - 1939, an Aristocrat 205 trumpet from late 1948, and a shepherd's crook cornet from around 1911, model undetermined but looks like it might be a successor to the #65.

7. VentureScore

VentureScore Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    For me:
    My Bach Bb is my goto horn. Brass Quintet, Wind Ensemble, works on the rare occasion I play with a stage band or Jazz combo
    The "C" - because I love playing in Orchestras (haven't in quite awhile - but i will be again)
    The Eb/D is for Solo work, as is the Picc
    Flugelhorn - see Bb entry :-)
    The rotary..... well, that's because I found it for $100, and wanted a horn to "mess around" with. I wouldn't play this one in public. Just for fun.

8. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I find it adventurous to bid on eBay, gives me the same feeling when I gamble, for obvious reasons. Buying, using and selling them is some of the best fun I've had since coming back to music six years ago, a serious hobby that's made more enjoyable by sharing. Just last week I hit up a thrift store in Venice (LA) and stumbled on a King 2B trombone once owned by the great Earle Hagan, great shape, orig. case. Too cool. You just never know what's out there until you poke around. So yes, it's more than just about getting different sounds. That's part of it, but the fun of unwrapping a new toy, and sending one out to a new customer is huge fun.

ed

9. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Anybody remember "He who dies with the most toys wins."?

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Bad company "corrupts" good morals! ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

I don't list my horns but I have close to 2 dozen (last count). I only go after top of the line horns or something unusual and eye-catching like my Getzen Super Deluxe. I play and maintain them all at home. Live performance and it's the 900H.