Why so many horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    The best response for sure is "N+1". If you've never taken a statistics class or done a thesis that answer is lost. Nevertheless it best describes at least players who are trumpet enthusiasts and are likely found participating in forums, thankfully. The trumpet forum is like a support group for people who are powerless over the majesty and brilliance of trumpets and whose checkbook has been made unmanageable by that love.

I carried a Selmer K-Modified all through college and the next twenty years of playing, get rid of it? Never. But I always wanted to know what the big deal was with those Bach folks so somewhere in time I could not turn away a Strad at a garage sale for $250. Good buy, now I know what a Bach generally plays like. My teacher always talked about a 'big sound' and played a large bore horn, always. So I bought the large bore Yamaha and play it most of the time. It's a lightweight and I'll most likely never sell it just 'because'. Many of us find transposing a PITA hence a C horn in the stable. Mostly we simply like horns. :-)

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Is that lamb or beef in that pita sandwich?

;-)

3. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    "Why so many horns? No disrespect, but if you have to ask......

4. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    Some of the trumpet players in the community band I play in only have the one trumpet. No cornets or flugels etc. Just the one horn...unbeliveable isn't it?

I always have a backup with me. During a concert one time a finger button came off my horn and rolled under the riser they had us trumpeters up on, I didn't find it till after the concert. I was saved by my backup horn.
    I rotate one of my two trumpets and one of my five cornets in my Protec double ipac case.
    I have reduced the number of horns to a manageable amount and kept my favorites. For now N-1 has subsided for me.

5. RobFerg

RobFerg New Friend

Jan 3, 2013
    Kimberton, PA
    I just picked up a Bach Strad large bore in "C" to add to my collection. Why another trumpet? Because it adds the ability to play hymns, and other music our director provides, to a Church Brass group, without transposing on the fly. A baritone and a double bell euphonium? Because Ialways wanted the double bell Sousa, and it's a fabulous player with the novelty "trombone" side. Why a Mendez long cornet? Because I wanted one when I was twelve (I know -- not a practical reason) and it was a good deal.

6. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    I have my original long cornet from when I first learned trumpet in band in grade school, then quickly upgraded to a Bach Strad after coming back to playing, then at some point bought a pocket trumpet although actually it is a pocket cornet, but fun to have when I don't want to carry a lot to practice, then a craigslist find to get an Olds Cornet because it is a beast and had some local history from whoever originally owned it locally from a music store that doesn't exist anymore, oh of course had to get a Flugel horn, and in some ways wish I went with the Kanstul model flugel, but ended up with a 8315 Yamaha flugel. Of course I also found a great Olds Euphonium that I performed tuba xmas once with, and a Yamaha trombone, but that sits collecting dust. I wouldn't mind getting a nice C trumpet and a piccolo but I have never had the need to have a piccolo so for now I may resist that urge... I really like the idea of some time upgrading my Bb trumpet to something really awesome / cool like a monette or Harrelson or taylor or something that is a really neat horn that becomes my new #1 go to horn.

7. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Must be an Aussie thing - I blame TM for my case of n+1.

I'm thinking of thinning down the herd because I like to rotate through it but am getting good value spending practice time on one horn so some instruments might go a few weeks without a work out.

But I still check eBay every couple of days.... :-)

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Partly because I am happy with one until I find a better one: Here was the sequence:

The Year - 1965: Olds Ambassador - Got me through elementary school and marching, besides at 10 years old what the heck did I know about trumpets.
    The Year - 1967: Olds Recording - Recommended by my Jr High teacher as an upgrade as I started to participate in solo and ensemble contests at the State level.
    The Year - 2011: Martin Committee - Because I discovered Trumpet Hangs and it was the most enticing horn I played out of the 250 I tried that day.

The Year - 1973: Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn w 4-valves - I needed it for a rock and roll band I was playing in and chose it because it looked cool with 4-valves and I got a good price from Manny's in NYC.
    The Year - 2012: Kanstul 1526 Flugelhorn w 4-valves - Because I discovered Trumpet Hangs and it was the most enticing horn I played out of the 10 I tried that day.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  9. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Yeah but what happened in 2012 besides that Kanstul Flugel?

10. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    Why? because I don't have one like that one there...