Why so many horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Apr 2, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    True enough, I added an LA Olds Recording to the mix, because I have a love affair with the Recording and always did want one from the LA era. There was a stellar person here on TM that was willing to part with their love and spread it my way. Hmmm I am trying to remember who that was....

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    In answer to your first question, SB, I play them - in turn! I enjoy different nuances (and that is all they are) brought to the playing experience by each one. Also, it is simply fun to experiment with the various horns, mouthpieces and accessories, and unlike the pros here on TM, I do this trumpet stuff for fun. Trumpet playing is an enriching rewarding experience for me and having several instruments helps me immerse myself more deeply in it.

I have learned a great deal as I have accumulated the ten instruments in my little stable. Some of those I presently have will probably go away in the next couple months. But I have identified a core of "keepers", and there are one or two others out there that may come my way eventually.

Jim

3. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    :thumbsup:

4. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    The only objective reason I can come up with is that you don't have to clean as often. Mostly though it is just about style.

5. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    I used to keep a different horn in different places in the house so I would constantly through the day be able to pick one up and play for 1-15 minutes even when I'm not in my studio.

6. Randall Nelson

Randall Nelson Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2011
    WA State
    I'm kind of in a similar situation. I played trumpet against my father's wish which in large part set up the one horn scenario....I had one horn (a Buescher Aristocrat from the 50's?) through all of Jr. and Sr. High because I was basically dirt bag poor and it was all I could afford by delivering morning newspapers. I did pay for my lessons however (and I'm waiting to see if I may have serendipitously have tracked down my original teacher, courtesy of the internet...that will be cool if I really did find him)..

Anyway, I always wanted to play some of the Olds and Kings that more fortunate kids could play. Now that I can afford it, I do. All my horns are played...some more frequently than others as I do have favorites.

I buy and sell vintage horns like everyone else does here and some are relegated as keepers and some that are duplicated are sold. I have two like this for sale now..a sweet King Super 20 S2 and a nice Liberty2 from 1933 or so. The modern horns listed in my signature are all currently pretty stable keepers though I have bought and sold modern horns as well ....like a Strad, a new Besson 709, and a Kanstul Mariachi.

Testing many horns helps me stay interested for times like when I hit one of the dry spells or plateaus common in comeback players....

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    of course GM made a clerical error or he went back in time some 898 years!!! --- but in any case I just wanted to point out -- 1965 Olds to get him through elementary school ----then in 1967 already in Jr. High ----- talk about overachievers, in 2 short years completed elementary school and on fast track to Jr. High --- AWESOME,

oh and to the question -- I use my King Silver Flair 1055 because it projects (and I am notorious for playing softly, and smoothly -- so by using that in the community band the conductor can hear me) ROFL ROFL ROFL --- the King Silver Flair 2055T is heavy, weighs like 5 lbs., so I use that a lot for practicing at home, keeps my arms in shape. ---- The LA Olds, I play occasionally and take it to band practice -- just because, something about it, I like.
    got 6 or so others -- have taken the Holton Collegiate to band practice, cause I was lazy, and it is small, did same thing with my Royal Cornet, most of the other 6 or 7 trumpets sit in a closet, I get them out, play them once a year, oil them up --- and just can't part with them!!!
    THE TROMBONES? --- just because, I like to use them for the community band parades --- cause the trombones are in the front row ---while the trumpets are in the back rows ---- I got to be me --- I like to hear the cheers of the crowd first!!!! -- the parade crowds LOVE TROMBONES -- they really do!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

I tried to sell my Yamaha flugle for $650 dollars - basically half price, but nobody wanted it!! --- so I have to keep it!!!!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Rehearsal Days... I play both my Kanstul and Getzen Flugelhorns every day, alternate half way through works between each horn. I alternate tunes between my Martin Committee and my Olds Recordings (Odd Days the '67 even days the '53).
    Big Band with Middle School Students... Always use my Olds Ambassador (to level the playing field - no not really; because should a middle school student throw a book bag on it or step on it, the Ambassador will win)
    Jazz Gigs: I take my Martin Committee and Kanstul; Recording Sessions: Martin Committee on all trumpet tunes; Kanstul Flugelhorn on all Ballads; Getzen Flugelhorn on Up Tempo; High Energy songs)
    Classical Gigs: The '53 Olds Recording because it is the prettiest horn I own, and it is a classic in and of itself.
    Cremation Urn: Will be my '67 Olds Recording as this horn IS what made me the trumpet player I am today.

9. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Because, because , because, because, because . . . because of all the (Wonder)ful things they does! Just acquired vintage Connie number 40! :D

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Next time I travel North... AY! :D