Why such crazy pricing for lessons!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Manny,

Why is it that some players in the orchestral world, and even just teachers at conservatories, charge sooo soo much for lessons per hour?? What is the point of charging 150 dollars and hour or even more? What do you usually charge if you feel comfortable sharing? And for everyone else out there (including you manny) what is the most you have ever paid for a lesson??

Jeremy

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I charge between $45-60 an hour depending on where I teach (different schools and cash vs. check).

I feel that's absolutely fair and still priced high enough where I only get students willing to work.

Best,

Trent

PS: My most recent teacher, Charlie Banacos (considered to be a genius in jazz circles and the best teacher I've ever had) charged me $50+ for a weekly half hour lesson slot.

3. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Teachers at the top conservatories and members of the best orchestras are at the highest level of professional achievement. Consider the rates for services in other professions that require the training and expertise of these people, (law, medicine, athletics, etc.)

What would you expect to pay for a golf lesson from Phil Mickelson, or a tennis lesson from Andre Agassi? I'd bet they charge a little more than your plumber does.

Furthermore, private lesson fees you pay are usually tax deductible.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Jeremy,

You get what you pay for.

Consider - you are paying for the services from the very best. If you were to schedule an appointment with the very best trial lawyers or very best cardiac surgeons, etc. you will pay far more than $100/hour.

Its a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

Greg

5. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have to disagree a tiny bit on this one. I charge a fee that is fair to both parties. I know from the feedback I receive from my students that I'm worth more than what I charge. There's the rub. If I charge more I might lose a client base to the point where I'm not teaching nearly as much. I love to teach so much I'd rather have a student in my studio than an empty time slot!

Would I like to make 100 an hour? OF course... maybe eventually I'll get it higher.

I know that when I studied with Ed Carroll his rate ALWAYS seemed fair and while I won't discuss his rate his level of teaching was second to none. Of course his rates might have gone up since I've took lessons with him many years ago.

For the guys with major orchestra jobs or the Kenny Werner/Brookmeyer/Banacos/Hal Crook jazz level instructors I feel their rates are justified. Maybe when I grow up I can charge a few bucks more and make both parties happy!

Best,

T

PS: Like Robert said above, my lessons with Charlie Banacos are a GREAT tax writeoff!

:D

6. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    My family law attorney is $200.00 an hour! So every time my ex-wife gets squirlely with me, that's what it costs to fight her in Michigan's courts.

And my attorney is rather reasonable. So, I'd echo the previous post.

Consider who's teaching, what level, and service your getting. Then decide what's best for you.

I just paid $50.00 an hour for a pro and I thought that was a bargin!

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I made friends with my ex because I couldn't afford it anymore.

8. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Personally, I think charging more than 75 dollars an hour is just an ego trip. "I'm this good so I'm gonna make you pay me more!" Maybe that's not the words they are thinking, but it is obsurd either way. Teaches in schools get hardly nothing, and professional athletes make more in a year than most will in a lifetime. Putting a price on experience or how good you are isn't quite fair to me. It's all about getting the skills you have to pass on to up and coming trumpet players. Once I get a studio, I won't charge anymore than 50 dollars and for my hardest working student, I wouldn't make him pay me as a reward for his hard work....

Jeremy

9. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Good points, Jeremy, but then again us "young" teachers in terms of experience can't hold a candle to teachers such as Charlie Banacos who's been teaching jazz improvisation since the late 50's! He's the only improvisation teacher who I can honestly say knows every aspect of jazz improvisation! He doesn't teach out of ego and never has... but can justify his rates because HE IS the best. I've got more in an half hour lesson with him then hours with other "jazz gurus".

People who can't afford him can always find less expensive alternatives like myself or other Banacos teaching Disciples.

-T

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    How do you decide how much to charge to play a job?
    Lets say it's a wedding and the family is paying thousands for the whole thing. Should the trumpet player charge 50.00 to 75.00 ?

I think you should charge what the market will pay mixed with some reasoning.