Why such crazy pricing for lessons!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Nov 1, 2005.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    This is a free country, isn't it? If there are people willing to pay $100/hr for lessons then more power to them.

Good luck running any business in the Twin Cities on only $50/hour - you may have to teach out of a cardboard box!

Greg

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Considering what the bride's bouquets cost I don't think charging $100 minimum is unreasonable.

3. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Comparing once-in-a-lifetime (unless you are Johnny Carson) expenses such as weddings to a musical lesson aren't probably the best examples. Playing weddings on Nantucket I have experience in what bands get paid (and how my rates should go up!!!)

I think golf lessons and/or legal fees are better examples.

Anyone go to a shrink? I feel like I should charge more since I often deal with the "head case" issues on the instrument. Check out their rates and you'll find rates of great pros on par.

Maybe I should charge more for lessons.... :cool:

-t

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Trumpet players are spoiled. How much does a top violin teacher make? How about the vocal coaches out there?
    A recording date pays $345 for a 3 hour session, and that's only the minimum scale.
    In NYC, Violin teachers ask for, and get hundreds of dollars for lessons.
    Forty years ago, I paid $50 an hour for lessons in Philadelphia. Most lessons lasted far beyond one hour.
    If you want the best, don't carp about their compensation!
    Wilmer

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    OK forget the wedding, lets just say a church service. I get 150.00 and I'm worth every penny. If they want to pay less they get less of a player.
    If great players start playing church services I will have to lower my price.

I pay 150.00 for a lesson because my teacher is worth every penny. I would pay more if he asked. If people all charge too little they will bring down the market and we all won't make enough money.

Trent,
    I have heard that you are a really good teacher. Maybe you are giving it away. You paid a lot for your instruments and your schooling. Just food for thought.

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I agree with B15M.

I've also said before that just because most of us are not paying our bills with the horn, i.e., its a hobby, we should not be just 'giving away' our services. Its not fair to professional musicians. If you feel guilty getting paid by a Church or whatever then give the money to charity rather than 'diluting' the pro market.

Greg

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Maybe this will help.

When I was at a low point I traveled to Chicago for help from Arnold Jacobs. I couldn't find the consistent relief I was looking for in my playing and had been hitting my head against a wall for quite some time.

It was about 1989.

Arnold Jacobs was charging $100 in those days. It took him twenty minutes to fix my playing where no one else I sought did. I owe that man my career.

So, now let me ask you, Jeremy: was it worth it for me to spend $100 to feed his "ego trip"?

ML

8. MatthewMiller

MatthewMiller New Friend

Jun 5, 2005
    I've had some lessons with wonderful teachers who I felt charged far less than they should have. I considered it a bargain and was very grateful. However, let's consider a top working pro. He/She has a busy schedule already. They have put loads of time into reaching that level. They have made an incredible investmest of time, energy, money, and daily practice. Considering that, is $75-100/hr. unreasonable? Regarding that busy schedule, a teacher may keep rates high so that they will only get the students who are dedicated enough to practice. Think about it: if you're only paying $20/hr. for lessons, you'll be more tempted to blow off practicing than if you were to be paying $75 (I know this first hand unfortunately). If a top pro is only charging $100 a lesson (some give more than an hour), I'd consider that a bargain as long as you improve under their guidance.

9. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    This actually brings up another point...

Some are great players... have few challenges in their careers so they really don't know how to address problems some students may have. I've experienced this with some top players.

Others really had to work through a lot of "challenges" to become great players... have developed formulas (answers) to many of the problems students bring to lessons.

Of course, there are all the players in between...

But my point is that sometimes you call and schedule a lesson with the principal trumpet of the Rubberneck Symphony in the great state of Zorff and after you get there you realize he/she just doesn't have answers for your problems. So now you've spent $100 and all you have to show for it is the fact that you took a lesson from this person.

If it's a financial hardship, then make sure that you know the person has the skills to work through your problems.

Obviously, our mentors on this site have proven over and over again that they have the skills to be both great performers and great teachers.

Jeremy... it's like everything else in life... do your homework. And make an educated decision. Talk to people who have studied with this or that person before you write the check.

Many of them are well worth the money... $100 divided by 25 years of an average career salary of lets say $80K (just guessing folks)... is a small percentage... ;-)

10. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

I've had lessons with three nationally-known pros. Two charged $100 and one charges $100 for pros and $75 for non-pro players. All three have had years of experience at the top of their profession and have accumulated vast amounts of knowledge. I don't think any of them are unreasonable in charging $100 for a lesson given what they are offering.