Why such crazy pricing for lessons!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Paying $150 to $200 an hour is a very small price to pay a top professional orchestral player for thier services and is worth every penny.

I am an good professional player and I teach students on the side. I charge $40 to $60 an hour dependant upon where the students wants to be taught (IE his home or mine). When I play a pro gig in a jazz bar I usually get around $500 for two 90 minure sets.

Remember I am an AVERAGE pro player. Classical teachers get much more for the simple reason they are the tops.

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Hey all,

Let's not forget that some of these musicians we look up too happen to be some of the most generous people you will ever meet. I'm not sure on this, but I doubt that Manny or Ed or Wilmer get paid to post to this forum. They do it because they enjoy sharing their knowledge. And we reap the benefits for free.

Charlie Schlueter charges a lot for lessons. They're worth every penny. He has also started a foundation to give some of that money back. I don't feel so bad paying him because his foundation is helping young trumpeters in all sorts of ways.

Phil Smith goes out and plays for the salvation army at christmas time by the big red kettles. Once he said that someone passed him on the street while he was playing and said "hey, you're pretty good. you sound like a pro!"

Just some things to think about.

-Jimi

3. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Trent,

You should be my agent :oops: and, if you're interested, I still charge the same $75 that I did when you were studying with me. Not lost in the equation is recognition that most have to burn expensive gas to come to my home in New Hampshire or to my studio in LA (one private student drives down from Oakland each month -- I should be paying him!).

Nobody gets rich teaching the trumpet. It's verrrrrrrrry interesting though.

EC

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Ain't that the truth

The prices I charge vary depending who the student is, where the student is and when they are wanting lessons. If a student is only able to take a lesson at an inconvenient time for me and at their house - the price will be higher than if I can tag tem onto the end of an already established venue and schedule.

I have paid large amounts and small for lessons with top pro players - the most money didn't always get the best lessons, but I acquired something useful from just about every lesson.
    The finest value for money has been from Crispian Steele-Perkins, who doesn't normally teach anymore (he doesn't really need to) so only does lessons by invitation - he asks you whether you would like a lesson. I got asked after a masterclass with him and it was a great experience.
    I won't say what I paid (I don't think it would be fair to him), but it was lower than many have already suggested. The big difference - I paid for an hour. I left after 3 1/2 hours!! And he wouldn't take any more money. The generous nature of Crispian is simply beyond belief - when I asked why it had been so long, he replied with something along the lines of "well, it was fun."
    I left with a much greater understanding of what it is to be at the top - the very top guys are great guys, it is the ones a notch or two down who feel they have to prove something (high fees, bad attitude etc).

5. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    The money is a recognition of what the value of their expertise is. If you think it's too much, then don't take lessons from that person. Simple.

You should thank Tom Booth for his generosity, and be eternally grateful. Meanwhile, stop whining, use the money you are saving to buy sheet music and recordings, and go practice.

6. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
    Great story Mike - Crispian is a guy I really would have liked to meet!
    (so far I've only met him in cyber-space: http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/interview/crispian/ )

And $75 for a lesson with Ed Carrol, wow! Ed, pity you are so far away.
    (Btw, gas over here in Norway right now is about $1.6 per liter)

Most trumpet players I know, pay $75 or more all the time for new mouthpieces and other gadgets. No hesitation then. But a lesson like the one Manny had with Jake - that is for debate? What a strange paradox!

Ole

7. kerouack

kerouack New Friend

Nov 17, 2003
    ---------
    "What's the point of charging so much money for a lesson when all a teacher does is relay the messege of what he/she learns." Yeah you could charge 100 dollars an hour, yeah Arnold Jacob's could charge 100 dollars per lesson and change your career but was it necessary to charge that much? Was the money they charged crucial in what they taught you guys??
    --------------

I can not understand the second question.
    About the first one, it is a very difficult question.
    You say " it was necessary" (for the teachers) to charge that money.
    Well... what is necessary and what is not? if they need that money to pay the house or car it is necessary, but someone really need a BMW? or a very big house? may be, or may be not, this is VERY complicated. What it is necessary for one people can be not important for another one. How much money do they get in their job? may be you are talking about they dont need more money, but some people always want more, or they think their classes should be well payed like almost all things in the society. So it depends about A LOT!!! of things.

I think the question for you should not be that one, it should be " will be good for me taking that classes?"
    And just some points about the answer:

- One can be great player and great teacher, great player and band teacher, average player and great teacher, or even bad player and bad teacher.
    - Having a certain amount of money, like i think almost all have, if you find a cheaper teacher, but a good one, you can take more classes with same money, so that can be better for you.
    - If the teacher is expensive but very good, may be thats better than a cheaper but bad one.
    - And so on...

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Excellent point! Personally, I feel the instruction from Manny here and in a single lesson has done more to help me than buying more mouthpieces or books.

Greg

9. romey1

romey1 Banned

Oct 25, 2003
    Top players's time is very valuable when you consider the job they do and put spouse/family into the equation. There is not a lot of free time. I always thought high lesson prices were to keep the "less serious" students away.

Serious students don't complain/bitch about high lesson prices.

I've spent lots of $$$$$$ on lessons/coachings since I've gotten out of school. Some of them have been better than others, but I have no regrets, since I've looked at the $$$$ spent as an investment. I've even gone as far as flying to other cities, paying for rental car and hotel to work with a desired mentor. (getting to Cape Cod to see Jim Pandolfi is not an easy task!)

The advantage of playing for someone in person is that it makes you "vulnerable" to having an "expert in your field" make suggestions, "set you straight," etc. Advice on the internet is great, but it only scratches the surface. Hearing someone live is the most effective way to help someone. You may think the problem you are having is "A" when actually it takes another observer with better ears to point out that it is actually "B."

As Manny said, you never know when someone like Arnold Jacobs will make a MONUMENTAL difference in your career.

Some of the best players actually charge LESS than you think. The one lesson I took with one of the highest profile players in the country was.............FREE!!!!!! Don't go looking for this, but when it happens "count your blessings."

back to "Batman Begins" and warming up.............

romey

10. dnlrsnbm

dnlrsnbm New Friend

Sep 5, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    For anyone who's interested, Malcolm McNabb (who is certainly at the top of the field) charges $75 for a lesson, and every lesson I've had with him lasts about 2-3 hours. Pretty fair if you ask me.

Dan
    www.danielrosenboom.com
    www.plotzmusic.com