Why such crazy pricing for lessons!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  2. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    I have not read all the posts on this thread but I feel I need to add this....My niece and I took a 90 minute lesson from Mr. Laureano and what he charged was well worth it. Don't let Manny know :lol: but for what he showed us, and told us to work on I would have gladly paid more. You are taking a lesson from someone who has dedicated there life (pretty much) to trumpet, and for that musician to take the time out to help one of us beginners is honestly something special. If you want some serious instruction then you are going to have to pay for it. My niece was taking lessons from the local music store at 15 bucks a half hour which was fine she had one lesson from Manny and learned more from him than the couple months she was at the local instructor. So do the math and figure out what you will benefit from the most. JMOO ;-)

3. Bugler997

Bugler997 Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2005
    VA
    Yeah, I hope this isn't viewed as "vulgar," but does anyone else think it's possible for someone to be an excellent teacer (for arguments sake, the best in the world even), but only marginally successful as a pro musician?

4. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    Bugler-yes I do I also know that there are people that can teach that are poor players. old geezer Dave

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I think it happens all the time.

I think it happens because many well-known teachers make the conscious decision to teach for a living and forsake the rigeurs of the day-to-day efforts involved with performing. Look at Claude Gordon... he proved himself in the playing realm but later became better known as a teacher. Carmine Caruso is another one. I'm not even 100% sure he played trumpet only because I've only ever known him to be a teacher of wind instruments. I have no idea who he played with.

What is necessary to teach music is a great ear and an innate sense for the human condition. Add those to an acute knowledge of music, add some passion, and boom... good teacher.

ML

6. andredub

andredub Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2005
    Toronto
    $$$$

I really think it is about a teachers intentions. What you pay doesn't matter if what you get has a large impact on your playing and possibly your future such as Mr Laureano's example. I've heard so many times from teachers that they cant take on 25 students and teach well, so those teachers who are dedicated to nothing but their students need to charge more to make their living.

But yes, there have been times where I've questioned that :D

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Ml,

It's been a long time but I'm guessing

Buck Wheat

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Apparently you've been stymied by the recent avatar...

ML

9. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Manny is right. Two of my main trumpet teachers were not well known trumpet performers. Carmine played woodwinds and violin professionally, but is primarily known as a brass teacher.

William Adam played a couple of seasons in the Denver Symphony back in the 1940s and freelanced for a couple of years in Los Angeles, but he devoted himself full-time to teaching from 1946 on (joining the Indiana University faculty full-time at the age of 29).

Both were great teachers in their own way and had unique qualities that made them so.

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Well I'm still doing ok. At least I'm in the ballpark